Liability when reusing foundations

Dig down to expose the fundations so you'll know how deep they go and most importantly what ground you have underneath.
Then you can make a more non guessed decision.
Usually if the conservatory hasn't moved for 20 years, it should be ok, but I would investigate if I were you.

Sponsored Links
We dug trial holes on each elevation ,they are 750mm deep and 200 to 350mm from the face of the exterior wall.

BC said they would normally be looking at 800 in these conditions for a new build extension, but we’re satisfied with what was there.

How deep are your existing foundation?

Andy

Dig down to expose the fundations so you'll know how deep they go and most importantly what ground you have underneath.
Then you can make a more non guessed decision.
Usually if the conservatory hasn't moved for 20 years, it should be ok, but I would investigate if I were you.

If local authority asks for 800mm it means that the ground in the area is suitable for such depth.
50mm won't make any difference.
As others said, just make sure you don't have water sucking trees nearby.

Sponsored Links
Post Grenfell inquiry BC's are likely to be made liable for certain failures, maybe not the OP's situation, but a tenant in a block of flats who can't do anything about cladding. Some AI's had difficulty getting insurance post Grenfell.

Blup

Post Grenfell inquiry BC's are likely to be made liable for certain failures, maybe not the OP's situation, but a tenant in a block of flats who can't do anything about cladding. Some AI's had difficulty getting insurance post Grenfell.

Blup
Are not liable, nor will they be. Officers are inspectors not designers, there is precedent decision on duty of care.

I think my contract with the builder will have to absolve them of responsibility in some way, but I am not sure how to approach that

I used to include a disclaimer on contracts when building on existing founds

I used to include a disclaimer on contracts when building on existing founds
What about when fitting windows into existing walls?

Or building extensions onto existing houses?

You can't disclaim liability away with an unenforceable clause

I have put a clause in contracts when something similar happened.
I had to rebuild a front mini extension aka porch, that was leaning forward and the owner wanted the same fundations.
They were fine, the brickwork was bad and not linked to the existing walls but I still put the clause.
How do you know what they've done with the concrete?
I have seen cowboys mixing it with polystyrene :eek:

existing walls and existing houses are visible, old foundations are not.

there is no way of knowing what is underneath old foundations, I used to give clients a price for new founds or reuse existing.

its their foundation, their risk.

If you disagree, try getting an insurance company to cover the risk......

A professional is expected to know about suitability of materials and existing structure, and can't disclaim about things deemed within their expertise.

The correct thing would be to assess, or require the client to prove suitability.

You can't say, "I'll chance it, but if it fails it's not my fault". That's an unenforceable clause.

In this specific case of foundations, if the foundation failed in any way the actual cause would be the load placed on them - which was done by the builder and their responsibility. So in any claim it would be a reverse burden and for the builder to prove that their loading of the foundation did not cause the foundation to fail, or that they carried out suitable and sufficient enquiry of the foundation suitability.

They aren't chancing it, they're excluding liability, so it is the homeowner's risk, pretty straightforward, yes or no. Every double glazing company's terms and conditions exclude liability for structural related failures.

Blup

They aren't chancing it, they're excluding liability, so it is the homeowner's risk, pretty straightforward, yes or no. Every double glazing company's terms and conditions exclude liability for structural related failures.

Blup
The point is, no one can randomly exclude liability for their work. And they should not be under any illusion that just because they try to do so with a disclaimer, does not make it enforceable.

If someone takes on the work, they take on the risks. That's contract law in this situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back