Liability when reusing foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BC have approved re-use of our existing conservatory foundations to rebuild a new single storey extension.

How should we approach liability if the foundations were to fracture or there was some other structural issue with the extension?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
BC have approved re-use of our existing conservatory foundations to rebuild a new single storey extension.

How should we approach liability if the foundations were to fracture or there was some other structural issue with the extension?

Many thanks.
Contact your home insurance.

You have more chance of winning the Euro this or any week.
You mean you think there is unlikely to be a problem with the foundation… or that it’s unlikely that anyone will want to take responsibility? :cautious:

Sponsored Links

Many thanks.

I suggest you assess risk rather than liability.

Are there any hedges or trees near the foundation? - ie within 15 metres. Leylandii, hawthorn, oak, willow are species of concern.

What is the ground like - not the top soil, but the ground at foundation depth - shrinkable clay is a concern, hard sand, hard clay, bed rock, mud stone - is generally stable.

Is the area virgin ground or back filled in any way

A stable foundation needs load bearing ground which is not subject to movement caused by water or trees sucking moisture out.

You don’t need much concrete foundation for stability - what is needed is stable hard ground below.

I suggest you assess risk rather than liability.

Are there any hedges or trees near the foundation? - ie within 15 metres. Leylandii, hawthorn, oak, willow are species of concern.

What is the ground like - not the top soil, but the ground at foundation depth - shrinkable clay is a concern, hard sand, hard clay, bed rock, mud stone - is generally stable.

Is the area virgin ground or back filled in any way

A stable foundation needs load bearing ground which is not subject to movement caused by water or trees sucking moisture out.

You don’t need much concrete foundation for stability - what is needed is stable hard ground below.

thanks. Yes that is exactly what I am thinking. The footings and slab have been there for 20+ years with no apparent issues, so (as a total layman) I would say the risk is low.

The weigh of a single storey extension (flat roof, glass windows) versus a conservatory (glass roof, cavity breezeblock wall), isn’t going to make a huge difference I’d have thought…

I think my contract with the builder will have to absolve them of responsibility in some way, but I am not sure how to approach that.

You mean you think there is unlikely to be a problem with the foundation… or that it’s unlikely that anyone will want to take responsibility? :cautious:
Foundations don't fracture.

Whats the difference between building control approving existing foundations, and building control approving new foundations?

Foundations don't fracture.

Whats the difference between building control approving existing foundations, and building control approving new foundations?

Yes My thoughts were that BC approval is approval, job done, but the builder who is quoting for the job raised the issue. I can see his point. He didn’t put the foundations in the ground so he can’t be responsible for any issues. Same goes for getting an SE report I suppose. They won’t be able to calculate an accurate number as they don’t know what went into the ground?

The foundations are mine, so the responsibility has to be mine. I guess I will wait and see whether the builder’s comments actually end up being anything other than comments, but my question here was for advice on how to proceed, perhaps structurally, perhaps legally (contract with builder).

The builder is a bit of a numpty for raising it.

Has this builder ever done a loft conversion, a first story extension, put a beam in retrospectively?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back