Liars on ebay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking for a new coat. I came across the following on ebay.

It is a second hand coat. The listing (generated by ebay) says that it is discounted by 50% (vs RRP).

I can see no way of flagging the item as being fraudulently described. The trade retailer is Heath Park Trading Limited.

I guess I could contact the ASA but I would rather complain to ebay directly.

I have no problem with sellers telling customers what the original RRP was, but to suggest that they are offering you a discount (on a second hand item) is disingenuous/misleading, and possibly (read: probably) illegal. In this case ebay show the 50% discount.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
There's a report item tab, about half way down on the right hand side.

Sponsored Links
I was looking for a new coat. I came across the following on ebay.

It is a second hand coat. The listing (generated by ebay) says that it is discounted by 50% (vs RRP).

I can see no way of flagging the item as being fraudulently described. The trade retailer is Heath Park Trading Limited.

I guess I could contact the ASA but I would rather complain to ebay directly.

I have no problem with sellers telling customers what the original RRP was, but to suggest that they are offering you a discount (on a second hand item) is disingenuous/misleading, and possibly (read: probably) illegal. In this case ebay show the 50% discount.
EBay has very limited reporting options with very few appropriate to describe problem accurately.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I see nothing wrong, nowhere does he describe it as new.

He is only comparing the price to that of a new item.

His description..........

"There is multiple marks on the front of the jacket. Please see photos provided.There is an external sewing repair on the bottom of the zip, measuring approx 1" in size. Please see photos provided. Please look at the photos provided",

Is open and honest.

I agree with you and understand your point of view.
When I was looking to change my car, I saw a similar thing on Motorpoint. The are selling used cars and telling you how much you are saving against the new price.
As an example, I have just looked at Motorpoint and clicked through the first car I saw and there it is. Audi A1, it is two years old and they are saying you will save £3,431 on the list price. But, it's two years old so it shouldn't be compared to the price of a new car.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong, nowhere does he describe it as new.

He is only comparing the price to that of a new item.

His description..........

"There is multiple marks on the front of the jacket. Please see photos provided.There is an external sewing repair on the bottom of the zip, measuring approx 1" in size. Please see photos provided. Please look at the photos provided",

Is open and honest.

Erm, the seller describes it as being 50% cheaper than the RRP (and specifically-Ebay lists it as being 50% cheaper) . The RRP only applies to new items.

I really don't understand why you think that is acceptable.

Last edited:
It states in the description it is used. When listing an item it usually defaults to "New" and you have to change it to used or new (other). Done it myself a few times, most buyers realise they are used items.

Again, I have no problem with a seller saying that the item being is sold at a price lower than the original price. The item being sold is second hand. The seller and, by association Ebay- are suggesting that a protentional buyer is saving 50%. That is BS. How can you defend that?

I agree with Razor. It is implied that you can get 50% off the new coat by buying this 2nd hand one. Simple.

Easily. It is 50% less than when it was new(RRP),
this, on the other hand

It is not a 50% discount. A used item is not identical to a new item (by virtue of having been used).

I fail to see the significance of your link. The only discount listed is a multibuy discount.

I agree with Razor. It is implied that you can get 50% off the new coat by buying this 2nd hand one. Simple.

It is not implied- it is specifically stated. The product title is implication. The listing price is a false, specific statement.

Why doesn't every second hand ebay listing have an ebay inserted X% discount?

I do understand your argument but I don't think they are misleading you. You understand its second hand and you understand the RRP of a new one.

Sponsored Links
Back