Amendment 3 and BG CUs..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ignoring the peripheral discussion regarding combustion-proof consumer units, all of which I agree with in terms of what a shambolic affair the statistical analysis and subsequent inappropriate patching of the apparent symptoms vs addressing the cause is, I'm looking to make my spark's life easier by just getting a metal CU so he doesn't have to think, argue or justify anything. He's of the simple opinion that it needs to be metal, the end.

It was once looking likely that I'd get my electrics in before jan 2016 and the whole point would be mot. It's now looking less likely so I've returned the BG Nexus plastic faced CU I had and (given that I've already bought a stack of RCBOs at an insanely good [erroneously applied discount] rate I'd prefer to use them than have to return them too..

So I'm looking for a CU that my sparky will look at and assume is compliant (I don't really care whether it is or not) that BG RCBOs will fit in. I assume this means it has to be a BG (unless someone here knows different?) and I see their catalog describes a CFSW20 all metal variant of the CUSW20 that I previously had but can I find anywhere that stocks it? Nope (Other than a couple of websites that don't really look like they're a real company)

My local Newey&Eyre will order it specially as a one off and charge a princely delivery and VAT on top of the full RRP because they don't order any volume of it to get a discount..

So, a couple of questions;
Anyone know of an 18+ way CU that my RCBOs will fit, or a stockist of the all metal BG?

And a side question: for such an imminent impending cange, I was rather expecting to find a greater proliferation of metal CUs. The likes of screwfix have big banners on their site of the effects of amendment 3 etc but they then don't really seem to sell more than a small handful of CUs that they state are compliant. Many CUs they flag as "new" lines in the catalogue don't mention amendment 3 compliance (some do, as do some "old" lines) and they look plastic to me.. Are manufacturers more or less ignoring this storm in a teacup and hoping itll blow over or are the retailers being particularly slow on the uptake?

Sponsored Links
I don't know of any big name wholesalers that carry BG, but I know there's two independent wholesalers by me that do carry their stuff, often on the shelf

You will need to get a BG board to fit BG RCBOs. Just ask your spark to source one?

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Screwfix stock BG boards and devices.
With the new amd 3 of BS7671, regarding CUs starting from January 2016, this does not mean that you need to automatically start fitting to those standards! Providing you started work prior to January 2016, and have a contract/agreement regarding this work, it is possible to install to 2015, even if the work is completed in 2016.

Sponsored Links
You can change the listing price on Ebay after sales. It does not mean ppl have paid £100

Probably done to stop ppl buying them at present.

Maybe a lesson learnt about having your electrician supply the parts for the job.
At the end of which he will have to sign the Certificate that states the work complies with
IET Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2008 Amendment number 3

pppOTE="Iggifer, post: 3531424, member: 173213"]You will need to get a BG board to fit BG RCBOs. Just ask your spark to source one?[/QUOTE]

He's probably got better (curvier) things to do with his time.. Part of the deal is that I find the gear, he fits it. I also get to keep control of costs that way- he'd just toddle off to Newey's pay £80 for an empty metal box and forgetfully put the invoice in his name so I can't even reclaim the VAT on it...

Maybe a lesson learnt about having your electrician supply the parts for the job.
Not really sure if this particular bit will teach me anything, other than maybe pick a more prevalent manufacturer, but the job as a whole has been very enlightening. Being his mate for a week taught me a fair bit. Also introduced him to the wonder of an angle grinder. Astounded that he'd never used one, and cuts 25mm swa with a hacksaw. No wonder he's ripped

Screwfix stock BG boards and devices.
With the new amd 3 of BS7671, regarding CUs starting from January 2016, this does not mean that you need to automatically start fitting to those standards! Providing you started work prior to January 2016, and have a contract/agreement regarding this work, it is possible to install to 2015, even if the work is completed in 2016.

Mmm yes, Screwfix are the ****ers that got me into this mess in the first place.. Managed to get all my RCBOs out of them for an insanely good price but they don't stock the CU size I need in Amd3 compliant..

The other thing that's started to irritate me about screwfix is that frequently I come across items that are "new" and cannot be ordered, and are not stocked. One example is a BG RCBO CU - comes with 6 RCBO and a modified case to make them easier to fit, £110ish, cheaper than the individual RCBOs and you get a case and incomer thrown in. Bonzer. Except it proved impossible to buy and the staff couldn't explain why none of the fulfilment options on their computer worked. They just gave up and said "maybe it's end of line" - yeah right, it's "new"

Understand the point about work commencement dates etc, but my spark's under the impression it's the date of test and cert issuance that matters regards regs so it looks like it'll be Amd3 for me.. Irritatingly, the BG CU I had was already half metal - the back part of the case is steel, it's only the fascia that is plastic. If only they saw fit to achieve compliance by producing a metal fascia, it would also make future upgrades cheaper, no longer requiring an entire plastic CU change just to add another circuit

Understand the point about work commencement dates etc, but my spark's under the impression it's the date of test and cert issuance that matters regards regs so it looks like it'll be Amd3 for me.
Your spark's impression is incorrect - what PBoD told you was correct.

Kind Regards, John

Understand the point about work commencement dates etc, but my spark's under the impression it's the date of test and cert issuance that matters regards regs so it looks like it'll be Amd3 for me.
Your spark's impression is incorrect - what PBoD told you was correct.
What John has told you is correct, I am correct!
If the contract was started under AMD 3 2015, it can be completed under those requirements.

What John has told you is correct, I am correct! If the contract was started under AMD 3 2015, it can be completed under those requirements.
Whilst what you say is true, it's not much help to the OP! Don't you mean that if it were started prior to the implementation date of 421.1.201 of AMD3, it could be completed under the prior (effectively AMD1) requirements?

Kind Regards, John

I mean in layman's terms, that if the work was started/contracted prior to the implementation of the requirement for non-combustible CU/enclosures coming into action in January. The work can be completed, certificated and signed off, under the requirements that existed when the agreement/contract/work started date.

I mean in layman's terms, that if the work was started/contracted prior to the implementation of the requirement for non-combustible CU/enclosures coming into action in January. The work can be completed, certificated and signed off, under the requirements that existed when the agreement/contract/work started date.
Yes, I realise that's what you meant, and I've already said that I agree that it correct. However, what you wrote seemed to be saying something different, since I think that, in context, most people (particularly "laymen") would have taken "started under AMD 3 2015" to mean "started under regulations which required CUs to be non-combustible"!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back