Latest CU amendtment 3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps,

I will be upgrading my old CU soon, new regs stipulate amend 3 type units, however outfits like screwfix are also selling non-compliant units as well??

Is it ok to install either or best to go for the latest one?

ta

Sponsored Links
I will be upgrading my old CU soon, new regs stipulate amend 3 type units, however outfits like screwfix are also selling non-compliant units as well?? Is it ok to install either or best to go for the latest one?
Welcome to the forum.

If you want to be compliant with the regulations, you have no choice but to install one which is compliant with Amd3 - if you can work out what the (very badly worded) regulations require!

I presume you are aware of the fact that replacing a CU is notifiable work?

Kind Regards, John

I will be upgrading my old CU soon, new regs stipulate amend 3 type units, however outfits like screwfix are also selling non-compliant units as well?? Is it ok to install either or best to go for the latest one?
Welcome to the forum.

If you want to be compliant with the regulations, you have no choice but to install one which is compliant with Amd3 - if you can work out what the (very badly worded) regulations require!

I presume you are aware of the fact that replacing a CU is notifiable work?

Kind Regards, John

Hiya,

yes i'm aware its notifiable, what i meant is are we supposed to use the latest one for building control regs or can i use the CU's that were pre amendment 3?

I think you know the answer yourself really, Screwfix do state that the clearance CU's aren't compliant any longer

Sponsored Links
Or, if for some reason you thought it worthwhile, you could enclose it in a non-combustible cabinet, and rely on the Clapham Omnibus interpretation of words.

can i use the CU's that were pre amendment 3
After changing the CU, when you come to sign the Installation Certificate that says that the work you have done complies with the latest iteration of BS7671, what would you plan to do? Lie?

yes i'm aware its notifiable, what i meant is are we supposed to use the latest one for building control regs or can i use the CU's that were pre amendment 3?
I don't really understand what/why you are asking. It's not about 'Building Control Regs", per se, it's about the Wiring Regulations (BS7671). You are presumably one of the 99%+ of people who could only claim compliance with Part P of the Building Regs by demonstrating compliance with the latest Amendment of BS7671 (i.e. Amd3) - so, as I said, if you want to be 'legal' (and to satisfy the Building Control Officer) you really have no choice but to instal a CU which you believe to be compliant with Amd3.

Kind Regards, John

If you have an all steel clifton-mantel meter box, you may install a plastic consumer in there, because it will be in an non-combustible enclosure.

Chaps,

I will be upgrading my old CU soon
You are or someone like a registered/qualified electrician is?
new regs stipulate amend 3 type units,
I don't think they do stipulate that, I believe this particular requirement states the use of a non-combustible enclosure this is not exclusively non-combustible CU
however outfits like screwfix are also selling non-compliant units as well??
No they are not, by complying to the non-combustible enclosure method, they are perfectly fine.
Is it ok to install either or best to go for the latest one?
Which ever way is easiest or best to comply to the regs, your electrician should be aware of this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back