Lidl Thermostatic Shower Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can never seem to get the hot and cold water stable enough to have a shower. Either I get too hot water or too cold water. At times I can get the temp constant for about 5-10 seconds but then it changes.

The shower is connected to a fairly new combi boiler. Does anyone have any ideas on what to try or should I just get a new thermostatic mixer?

Sponsored Links
What sort of shower do you have? Bathtap mixer type? manual? age? make?

Did it work before etc etc?

I can never seem to get the hot and cold water stable enough to have a shower. Either I get too hot water or too cold water. At times I can get the temp constant for about 5-10 seconds but then it changes.

The shower is connected to a fairly new combi boiler. Does anyone have any ideas on what to try or should I just get a new thermostatic mixer?

Mixing valves are a pain in the nuts. You can get a thermostatic bar shower for £60.

You could get around your current probs by putting a pressure reducing valve on the cold feed to the shower, but thats as much as a hassle as fitting a better shower

The type of shower is a thermostatic shower mixer

MixerBox.jpg

Mixer.jpg

It was fitted a little while back but it has never correctly worked since it was fitted.

A bathtap mixer from the same manufacture was fitted to the bath which works fine.

Somebody also suggested on Hotukdeals back when it was posted, that "I can confirm they are definately thermostatically controlled as they don't work if you connect them the wrong way round ".

Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Well, if Hotukdeals say so, it must be true.

Who are hotukdeals exactly? Do they employ a full time plumber?

Well, if Hotukdeals say so, it must be true.

Who are hotukdeals exactly? Do they employ a full time plumber?

Simon, I said "Somebody also suggested on Hotukdeals..." as a potential problem.
Wasn't implying that it was correct or that they employ a full time plumber.

The type of shower is a thermostatic shower mixer

MixerBox.jpg

Mixer.jpg

It was fitted a little while back but it has never correctly worked since it was fitted.

A bathtap mixer from the same manufacture was fitted to the bath which works fine.

Somebody also suggested on Hotukdeals back when it was posted, that "I can confirm they are definately thermostatically controlled as they don't work if you connect them the wrong way round ".

Any Ideas?

Sounds like the installer has got the feeds the wrong way around.

The hot MUST go to the left of the valve as you look at it.

EDIT: Some thermostatic showers allow you to rectify this from the valve (without having to swap the feeds over). If you still have the instructions because im not too sure if its possible with the cheaper ones.

Thanks for the feedback LMannix :D

The hot feed is currently on the right.

The mixer has been installed as it looks in the picture below.

MixerBox.jpg

The manual and box was thrown away a while back so cannot check it. I've also looked online for the instructions with no luck.

All the piping for the shower is currently fitted in the wall and tiled over.

Would turning the shower mixer around so that the thermostatic dial is on the left possibly work?

Just turned the shower mixer around and it still doesn't mix correctly.

Also the thermostatic dial for half the settings doesn't send any water.

Only option to try before replacing it would be to change the valves which I am not sure how to do?

Just turned the shower mixer around and it still doesn't mix correctly.

Also the thermostatic dial for half the settings doesn't send any water.

Only option to try before replacing it would be to change the valves which I am not sure how to do?

Sounds like either one side of the shower inlet is blocked, ie on the back of the shower the filter is full of crap or the none return valve in the back of the shower may be a bit stiff. Try pushing them firmly with something to check they spring back.
Also wont be the 1st time ive seen a thermostatic shower with one side of the feed isolated sub floor. Might be worth a quick check that you do get water out of both sides of the inlets

That shower will work fine for 6-12 months then it will start sticking and you won't get a decent temperature regulation.

You'll then think "fine - its got a 5 year warranty" and then spend the next 4-5 months chasing companies in Italy, getting fobbed off by Lidl, receiving wrong parts when you do eventually get through to someone then get totally ignored by everybody.

My father in law had the exact same as above with his shower and I ended up giving him my brand new spare one I was intending to fit myself as they hadn't been able to have a shower for months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back