Life Insurance

Haven't read the whole post so someone may have already mentioned this but, you can still get life insurance, albeit at a slightly higher rate, but it probably won't include this specific condition and maybe not another condition that is a potential side effect.
Give a few insurers a call and be honest with them. If you withhold information they could cancel the olicy at a later date, (and after you have been paying a good whack), or refuse it when it matures on your death.

Sponsored Links
Haven't read the whole post so someone may have already mentioned this but, you can still get life insurance, albeit at a slightly higher rate, but it probably won't include this specific condition and maybe not another condition that is a potential side effect.
Give a few insurers a call and be honest with them. If you withhold information they could cancel the olicy at a later date, (and after you have been paying a good whack), or refuse it when it matures on your death.

Never understand why any would lie to an insurance company. I will look into it . Just wanted to get some feelers first...

For all insurance contracts the legal doctrine of uberrimae fidei applies. Utmost good faith - I.e. something you know, but they don’t ask - you are still obliged to share subject to overriding statute (e.g. rehabilitation of offenders act which means you can say no to questions relating to expired convictions for example )

For all insurance contracts the legal doctrine of uberrimae fidei applies. Utmost good faith - I.e. something you know, but they don’t ask - you are still obliged to share subject to overriding statute (e.g. rehabilitation of offenders act which means you can say no to questions relating to expired convictions for example )

Some ins co's are now clearly stating you don't have to inc your spent convictions.

I've been lucky as not even a parking ticket never mind speeding but these are not crim convcitons as most will know

I guess when i was younger i was lucky did not get caught doing naughty stuff like many as the fear of dad finding out and lynching us was one we were very aware of.

Where I worked we had the enhanced check every 12 months or so.

One woman got sacked when her conviton showed up the thrid time around is what she said it was not paying her tv lecnece.

Sponsored Links
for some purposes I have to include even old, spent speeding fines (I have no other convictions), I have two, both going back over 20 years. It's quite hard to look up such things.

In some other cases, companies are not even allowed to ask about spent convictions, and you can deny they exist.

I'd think firstly of my OH - what happens to them if you drop dead?

TYpical situation is that a man will go on to around 80 and a wife a bit longer. By that time kids are growing up and would prefer you enjoyed the cash you have.

If you both peg it in the next 10-15 years then yes, there would be a need for money, for the kids' upkeep. After that I wouldn't bother with LA.

Sure get a quote or two, but it would depend on all sorts you have to decide. Same with an IFA - first thing they'll ask is, what do you want?

Half an hour with an IFA would probably be useful. Be careful about investing right now, there's a moderate chance of a major stock market slump, which could persist a while. Look at traditional advice for "inflationary times".

for some purposes I have to include even old, spent speeding fines (I have no other convictions), I have two, both going back over 20 years. It's quite hard to look up such things.

In some other cases, companies are not even allowed to ask about spent convictions, and you can deny they exist.

It goes further, they commit an offence by asking. The grounds they may ask, are fairly limited- ......

Spam removed
If you want LA then put what you can spare into a pension. If you have a decent company pension you can make additional voluntary contributions. (AVC's). Although they go in your pot, I think they are ring-fenced against losing money when times get tough.
Speak to an independent financial advisor who gives a free half hour-hour interview. Do NOT go through a broker because they will take either, a fair wad of your cash up front, or a commission basis over the term of the policy. All FA's have to give you notice of their charges before arranging something for you and before you sign on the dotted line. Anyone who says something like, "Oh don't worry about that. We'll speak about it later/when I've arranged something et, etc", should be avoided like the plaque and reported to the ombudsman. It is totally illegal not to quote their fees up front.
You could always stick £20k into an ISA each year as an easy option. Once your rate is quoted, it is guaranteed till the end of the term. If you re-invest at the end you may get a different rate.

In answer to the original post isn't it all about risk to the insurer? It can't be much different to a motor policy where if you have speeding fines and points or previous crashes they class it as risk and increase the premium. Glad you are on the mend bud. Best wishes.

You walk in to your high street bank (assuming you can find one), they will ask you lots of questions about investment risk etc.. They will then try to sell you a unit trust with astronomic fees. You take the print out away with the balance (probably 25% commodities, 50% FTSE 100 stock and 25% Global etc) and you then look for ETFs that can match the risk. Pretty much guaranteed to return the same without the 2% annual fees.

My best investment for minimum risk, has been several K I put into a Norwich Union bond, 10 years ago, now Aviva. It's worth 100% more now, than the amount I invested in the bond and I can add to it or take money out at anytime, without penalty - initial setup fees were quite high though. My big, ongoing mistake, has been to have never put more into it.

Thats about 8% pa. The QQQ ETF, even despite the high tech crash is showing 17.5% over the same period. More if you count the dividends. But its always easy to look back and see what you should have bought. :D

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back