Holiday insurance question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Between us, me and the wife have three breaks booked for Spain this year. She's off with her mates on 19 June (booked it last June when they rebooked after that holiday was cancelled due to storms and floods out there), we're both off to Barcelona on July 5th (booked that in January), and I’m off to Malaga with some mates for a fly-ride motorcycling holiday in October (also booked in January). Our annual travel insurance expires on June 13th before any of them start.

As far as I know, I am covered for cancellation/curtailment but I’m wondering whether if I am not going on these holidays due to flights being cancelled, whether I need to renew my insurance so that is valid at the time that the holiday takes place or does it cover you if you were insured at the time of booking? A quick look on my insurers website shows a banner saying this: "Important Notice: No cover for Coronavirus for policies sold after midday 13/03/2020".

It’s not major problem as these are not terribly expensive breaks and as they’ve already been paid for, it’s not like I’ve still got to pay out for something I’m not going to get. Well, that’s my reasoning anyway! We very nearly booked a bloody expensive cruise a few months ago and I’m glad now that we couldn’t decide on dates.

Anyway, as my policy is on auto-renew, for the future, I just wonder whether that will be classed as a new policy or a continuation of the original one. Anyone know what the situation will be? Any others in a similar situation?

Sponsored Links
only your insurers will know this, ask them.

Are you cancelling those holidays and getting a tent? Cornwall is nice in the summer :)

If you booked your holidays before the Coronavirus problem and you arranged insurance at the same time, any cancellation by the travel agent, airline or Home Office advice not to travel should see you getting a full refund. If you cancel yourself because you don't want to travel, then the insuror has no obligation to pay. However, if you are 70+ and considered to be in the vulnerable category, the travel agent may allow you to rebook something else.
Any holidays you book now, for later in the year, the insuror will either not offer cover at all (depending on where you are going) or include significant exclusions relating to Coronovirus risk.

Between us, me and the wife have three breaks booked for Spain this year.

I certainly wouldn’t be getting on a plane to Spain like those idiots yesterday.

Made no plans to travel but I tell you one thing, when we say we are going, we go.

Funny how circumstances beyond our control can change people's plans.

And maybe you could tell us which mind of yours you haven't been able to make up yet? :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Funny how circumstances beyond our control can change people's plans :)
Yes, the Coronavirus pandemic were the circumstances that were beyond our control and we will be going next year. How about you?

Yes, the Coronavirus pandemic were the circumstances that were beyond our control and we will be going next year. How about you?
Hopefully yes...

But in the meantime we are stuck here...

Now maybe you won't carry on like a stuck record!

If you booked your holidays before the Coronavirus problem and you arranged insurance at the same time, any cancellation by the travel agent, airline or Home Office advice not to travel should see you getting a full refund. If you cancel yourself because you don't want to travel, then the insuror has no obligation to pay. However, if you are 70+ and considered to be in the vulnerable category, the travel agent may allow you to rebook something else.
Any holidays you book now, for later in the year, the insuror will either not offer cover at all (depending on where you are going) or include significant exclusions relating to Coronovirus risk.
I spoke my insurers and they said as long as I renew my existing policy I will be covered for anything booked before 13th March. Everything was booked before that date. They also gave me 15 months insurance for the price of 12. So far, EasyJet cancelled my wife’s June flights so a refund is on its way, I got on to Hotels.com about our Barcelona reservation, they said non-cancellable, I said I’m not cancelling but the hotel is closed. They confirmed with hotel and I have already been refunded. Bit of luck because with Spain starting to open up, the hotel will be open from July 2nd so wouldn’t have got a refund if I asked now. Next bit of luck was EasyJet cancelled our outbound flight so getting a refund for that too. Just as well because I only noticed today I mis-typed my wife’s surname wrong (I hit 'i' instead of 'o', fat fingered **** that I am) so that would have been aggro/cost to correct at this late stage. Not doing too bad so far - still have the October Fly-ride bike trip in October, Family Get together Center Parcs in Dec and Peak District in Dec/Jan with friends. Don’t care if they’re all cancelled - I’ve effectively been on paid holiday since March and I won’t be going back to work until at least September. That’s enough of a break for me!

Last edited:
You need cover during the Holliday for medical needs assuming you also have Your EU health card. You need to check cover covers motorcycles, some times mopeds are excluded to keep non riders out of hospital.

lastly your insurance won’t be valid until the U.K. lifts the essential travel only guidance.

I would normally spend 3-4 months sailing this time of year I have not been out since mid-March. I was hoping to go end of June but have pushed to August. I may bring that forward to July. Currently working full time which I haven’t done since I semi retired.

But in the meantime we are stuck here...
Says it all really...Your thoughts on the UK.Mr Happy Staycation coming to a campsite near you soon..!...Standby for some side splitting laughter from the LAL encampment.

I see my question to lally has been removed yet again. Mustn’t mention the Elliephant in the room even when he brings up the subject. When I 'reveal' the circumstances beyond my control (Coronavirus) because he mentions it, what’s the big ****ing deal in asking him what his circ's are? I knew he'd have a scream up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back