Lifestyle LP522 has randomly turned off!!*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Random event occurred yesterday when at around 1830 the water came on for heating as per normal schedule and then seemingly the heating as well at around 2000. However upon checking at around 2100 the console that controls this programme on the wall seems to have gone blank (i.e. no display). Having then checked the heating and hot water, it seemed they continued to stay on when they should be shut off after a while as per the programme.

The only things that seem to show are the two lit LEDs denoting that the hot water and central heating boost are on. I’ve attached a really bad picture to show the green lights that are lit.

I turned the boiler off overnight as I thought maybe the system had been bugged and central heating and hot water were on.

Read around and some say it could be a blown fuse which this turn off of the display is telling me but I don’t get why the two lights would be on?

Another thing is that the hot water was a lot hotter than it usually was but perhaps this was because the water was left on for longer than it usually does.

Notes-
- random turning off of the display of the programmer console Drayton Lifestyle LP522 with two lights denoting HW/CH boost are on
- heating seemed to remain on after scheduled turn off time
- same as above for HW assumed but can’t really tell
- HW noticeably hotter than normal, perhaps because heated for longer
- boiler turned off in case heating was left on as I can’t see if it is on the display (but could hear it working)

My initial feeling is that a fuse went off in the junction box and that’s caused the programmer to go blank with the two lights lit to denote a replacement fuse is required? Not sure why the heating and and potentially HW stayed on though.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That is a really bad picture - there isn’t one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: however I think these will have a battery in them that may have failed, especially if the leds are on, that would suggest the power is there, unless I’m wrong and a fuse has blown, and battery keeping leds on? Have you tried a new 3A fuse? Also the hot water is only hotter if the cylinder stat is turned up higher or not making a contact with cylinder wall or the immersion left on? The Drayton will send signals (switched lives) to your motorised valve(s) which are controlled by the cylinder and room thermostats.

Some Danfoss programmers do this after a power blip, [I've not come across it with a Drayton though] when they do, the display blanks and both heating and hot water outputs are energised. Turning the mains power supply to the programmer off (ie not just switching the heating and hot water off) for a few seconds before restoring it usually resets them. Might work with a Drayton

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
That is a really bad picture - there isn’t one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: however I think these will have a battery in them that may have failed, especially if the leds are on, that would suggest the power is there, unless I’m wrong and a fuse has blown, and battery keeping leds on? Have you tried a new 3A fuse? Also the hot water is only hotter if the cylinder stat is turned up higher or not making a contact with cylinder wall or the immersion left on? The Drayton will send signals (switched lives) to your motorised valve(s) which are controlled by the cylinder and room thermostats.

Not sure.

I turned off the boiler at the main knob to 0 and the hot water has stopped as it came out as cold which means immersion is not on or anything now.

Where is the fuse located? On the panel itself or in the Honeywell junction box?
Some Danfoss programmers do this after a power blip, [I've not come across it with a Drayton though] when they do, the display blanks and both heating and hot water outputs are energised. Turning the mains power supply to the programmer off (ie not just switching the heating and hot water off) for a few seconds before restoring it usually resets them. Might work with a Drayton

Ok I will try turning off main fuse and then on again. I’m conscious the lights are on but the boiler is off so technically no energy is being used right?

I’m conscious the lights are on but the boiler is off so technically no energy is being used right?
What lights would they be? Do you mean your house lights? There shouldn't be any lights lit on the boiler or its controls when the heating isolator / FCU is turned off.

Probably best to turn the boiler off first for a couple of minutes first before turning off the main heating supply, otherwise you might induce a fault code on the boiler.

The fused is usually located in the connection unit next to or close to the programmer.

@stem, OP means the leds on the programmer.

The fused is usually located in the connection unit next to or close to the programmer.

@stem, OP means the leds on the programmer.

Would it look like a square white box that says FUSED on it with a circular battery or fuse that comes out of it?

Would it look like a square white box that says FUSED on it with a circular battery or fuse that comes out of it?

Yes it does and it’ll be a fuse, not a battery.

I’m conscious the lights are on but the boiler is off so technically no energy is being used right?

Anyone able to respond to this?

I have turned the boiler off and there is no hot water or central heating on so therefore no energy being used even though the lights denoting HW/CH Boost are still on.

Is it usual for lights like these to remain on to signify a fault?

I'm really hoping it's just a fuse replacement!

Turning the mains power supply to the programmer off

When you turn off the fused connection unit for the boiler / heating system, ie something that looks like this....

fcu.jpg

.... then all of the heating system components should also be switched off. If they are not, then the LP programmer would appear to be wired into somewhere else but it would be impossible to guess where that might be.

When a fuse blows it is designed to interrupt a the faulty circuit and stops things working. It doesn't switch things on.

Just turning the boiler off (ie using a switch on the boiler itself) may not isolate the rest of the heating system, such as the programmer. That's normal.

So a response here - thanks for the help!

All that was needed was a turning off of the fuse and back on again for the whole property and voila, everything is functioning normally again. Any idea what this could of been? Seemed pretty random.

Also is it normal on the Vailant boilers that the 3.0 bar and 57 degrees centigrade displays change so quickly one after another?!

Also is it normal on the Vailant boilers that the 3.0 bar and 57 degrees centigrade displays change so quickly one after another?!

No. 3 bar is far too high, so either filling loop is left open or you have an expansion problem. It’s probably because it’s highlighting a fault.

Any idea what this could of been? Seemed pretty random.

Seems to be a design fault with some Danfoss programmers, I've seen at least 3 that would respond that way after a power cut, I could even simulate it by switching the power on / off quickly. After a longer power cut they would reset nicely on their own. This is the first time I can remember it with a Drayton LP522 programmer like yours though.

Some programmers have a battery soldered on the printed circuit board internally, and designed to keep the circuitry powered. When the battery failed they could be upset by a power cut. I don't know if the LP522 has one or not not I've never opened one up.

I guess if it does it again when you next have a power cut, you might want to consider changing it for a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back