Lifetime of paint (Dulux Supermatt)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 years ago we read, through this forum, that this paint was good for 1st application on to new plaster.

Story short the tub was opened back then, used a bit but now an entire room & ceiling need doing.

Obviously the lid was put back on :) but will this still be OK to use? Just wondered about the lifespan of paint, specifically this paint.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As a rule water based paint keeps pretty well as long as it has not been exposed to frost.
You might find a lot of bits from the lid edge fall in when opening, an old pair of tights stretched over a bucket is the best way to filter them out . Clean the tin thoroughly and return to the original container.
Just paint a test area first, but chances are it will be fine.

Well it's been left out in the shed. We've had frost but nothing too serious.

I'll take a look. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This weekend i'm looking to paint the living room. I've just opened the tub. The paint is a bit firm on top but it's not one solid lump. There's the bits you mentioned which i can get rid of. There's a fair amount of yellow liquid in there too.

Is all this normal - just get rid of the bits & thoroughly mix up the rest?

Yes just give it a really good stir with a a flat stick ( or old wooden spoon) to ensure the thick stuff at the bottom is well mixed in, then strain it. As said do a small patch first if you want to be completely sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back