Lifting and Refitting Floorboards for Soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating a 3.6m x 2.6m room and wish to address the floor which has two issues – 1. the floorboards are very creaky and 2. I wish to fit soundproofing as the floor joists run through a party wall into the neighbour’s property.

The plan is to lift the floorboards, create chicken wire baskets between the joists, install Rockwool RW3 slabs between them (from the party wall, one slab length into the room), and then refit the floorboards using screws.

My concern is that the current floorboards are tongue & groove which appear to be stapled down, and after removing them, may not fit back neatly. The creakiness is mostly in the centre of the room so it will require a good number of boards refitting.

Would it be easier to fit new floorboards to guarantee a decent result? I don’t mind paying the extra £200 or so for new ones if it means the floor is nice and solid afterwards.

Any advice would be appreciated (as I’m a novice :unsure:)!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the joists are solid, then I think floorboards won't creak if screwed down well. I have replaced some 12cm wide (2cm thick) boards with new and screwed down, as well as replacing old boards, and no creaks. I have also used the green chipboard (60cm width) that is tongue and groove, again, no creaks when screwed down. I don't bother with glue as I worry they might one day have to come up for some reason (electrics, plumbing etc). I use Turbodrive screws.

Thanks! I presume I will need to cut the tongue off to lift the existing boards without damaging them too much?

yeah, if you are not removing from the edge / last one put down.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back