Lifting carpet in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got our loft converted (sort of) in 2007. However, I know that the guys who did it when installing a new loft hatch, steel beam in the floor below and carrying out some wiring, they messed up the insulation in the loft floor. I am certain that in some parts of the loft floor insulation was removed. I have been able to resolve some that is accessible from the eaves. In order for me to inspect the other areas in question, I would need to lift the carpet installed in the loft in order to be able to removed the loft boards underneath and have a look to see if there is insulation there or not.

Is it easy to lift carpet and put it back again?

What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lifting the whole lot would be tricky and best left to the pros, but you can roll back a corner and access the boards that way.
But anyway with a converted loft, your insulation would not be necessary at loft floor level as it would be insulated at rafter level instead. You would still need some at the eaves though at the sides of the loft.

Lifting the whole lot would be tricky and best left to the pros, but you can roll back a corner and access the boards that way.
But anyway with a converted loft, your insulation would not be necessary at loft floor level as it would be insulated at rafter level instead. You would still need some at the eaves though at the sides of the loft.

Thanks for the quick response John.

Indeed your right that loft floor insulation would not be needed. However, in our case it is as our loft conversion was not insulated properly at all. A really bad job. I'm a student living at home with parents - the cowboy job happened under their watch not mine lol!!

Don't think there is any appetite to insulate the rafters etc properly now as the loft conversion was carried out to create a games room, but this is no longer used. Therefore inspecting the loft insulation (or lack thereof in some spots) is the way to go.

As you say, lifting the whole carpet would be tough. But as you indicated, it is possible to lift some carpet at a time. Thank you for confirming this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back