Lifting my heavy old cast iron radiator! Help please...

Sponsored Links
Manhandling it won`t work - you`ll end up with 3 injured people . Use a mechanics engine crane , running on some osb or ply to protect the floor :idea: . Shame you`re not in Sussex, I`d enjoy sorting that , and have access to the kit: No, Andy I wouldn`t take it for scrap :LOL:

Sponsored Links
There's a fella who works in our garage called dry bolic Jack who could lift that.

This happened to me once.

In the end, we had had to remove the whole side elevation of the house, brick by brick and then navigate a small fork lift truck through the lounge.

Once the rad was back on the wall and we were finished with the fork lift, it took 4 weeks to rebuild the side of the house.

It was slightly annoying to say the least but the only positive I can draw from the experience was that when the rad came off the wall, I found the odd one of my Buffy The Vampire Slayer socks that I'd been looking for for ages.

That kind of made up for it.

With that many sections the rad is well oversized for a domestic room.

I presume that the sections are Cast Iron - some were made from steel.

The sections are individually joined by threading a tube or rod thro them at the top and bottom ports, and bolting them together.

Each machined surface was traditionally red leaded and a paper washer was inserted - later, rubber or neoprene washers, with a rubber sealing liquid, were used. If the washers have been disturbed then the rad will leak at that point.

You could split the sections to a manageable weight but the flow or return valve stubs would have to be adjusted.

Its years since i last handled them, and we hated having to assemble and hang them.

Lifting heavy rads is a serious problem.

Whilst an engine crane seems to be a possible solution the difficulty is that to make them stable the front feet have to be forward of the lifting point meaning the rad will end up offset too far from the wall.

Do any others use them for rads and if so which type do you use and how much of a problem is the offset?

Tony

If you're just fitting it back on the wall then the first job is get in unto two timber skids.
Then slide it back to the wall ready for pivoting upwards. If your not fit to do that then just get some help.

with a bit of scaffolding you should be able to right it quite easily, by leavering one end up, using books or something to hold it there then sliding the pole under and doing the same if you can't do it in one lift. try to use some wood as a spreader plate though so you don't stress the sections too much if just lifting in one place.

I'm feeling your pain as I've some arriving in a couple of weeks, the largest is 90kg, at 17 sections that one must be getting on for 200kg?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back