light causing fuse box to trip

S

skuba

whenever i switch on our kitchen light, it trips the entire fuse box (the black switch on the far right of this picture). any ideas why this could be happening? thanks...
fuse_box.jpg

Sponsored Links
Because you have a fault on your kitchen lighting circuit.

The thing on the right is called an RCD and disconnects the supply when it detects 30mA or more of naughty, gone walk about, current.

ok, thanks for your reply

am i right in assuming this is mostly likely to be dodgy wiring to the light? or possibly even a faulty kitchen light itself?

Has you changed anything on the lighting circuit recently, like new downlighters in the kitchen or new switch?

Sponsored Links
no, nothing has changed at all recently. i'm pretty sure this light has caused the fuse box to trip before on rare occassions, but last night it started tripping every time we switched it on

Is this a fluorescent light ? Most likely faulty fitting, favourite culprit will be the choke (ballast) or possibly some burnt wiring.
(Unless you have a leak from above as mentioned earlier)

yes, i don't know if it's related but our bath had a leak about 2 or 3 months ago and the water actually leaked through the ceiling in the kitchen. having said that, it was right at the other side of the kitchen and i didn't put 2 and 2 together because the light didn't seem to be tripping when we had the leak

What type of light do you have in your kitchen?

If you are sure it hasn't blown then you will need to check the connections initially at the switch and ceiling rose/unit in the kitchen and possibly at the Consumer unit - do you feel comfortable doing that?

If you do then switch off the power and make sure the circuit it is dead.

Look at the switch and ceiling rose for loose or damaged wires.

The same at the CU for that circuit. But remember that turning the power of at the CU on turns one side of the main switch/RCD off the other side is live.

Loose connection elsewhere on the circuit is another possible cause.

it's just one of those long standard kitchen tube lights with a plastic cover. i'm comfortable doing basic troubleshooting on the switch and light, but i wouldn't want to touch the fuse box

Likely the internal wiring of the fluorescent fitting has been sitting next to the ballast, overheated over time and now the insulation has burnt through to give the fault. If it's this you "might" be able to rewire it, but given the price of fluorescents a new fitting is worth the outlay.

Don't fixate on the fitting, though - lighting problems can be at the switch as well as on the ceiling.

PJ

a friend has suggested removing the light and taping up the cables and try switching the circuit on to see if the fuse box still trips without even having a light connected. following that, he's suggested connecting up a basic lamp and try switching that on to see if it trips

would you agree with that?

Given that I'd refer to what ricicle has highlighted as to your problem.

Check for loose/burnt wiring at switch and light - if this is okay then if it is the ballast - I'm not sure you can replace these so it might be a new light fitting.

a friend has suggested removing the light and taping up the cables and try switching the circuit on to see if the fuse box still trips without even having a light connected.
Don't tape the cables up at least put them in a chockblock - there could be at least three sets of wires up there you know?

following that, he's suggested connecting up a basic lamp and try switching that on to see if it trips

would you agree with that?

Are you comfortable in doing that?

a friend has suggested removing the light and taping up the cables and try switching the circuit on to see if the fuse box still trips without even having a light connected.
Fine, that'll check whether it's a cable fault.

following that, he's suggested connecting up a basic lamp and try switching that on to see if it trips.
No point, all that will do is check your "basic lamp" is working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back