light causing fuse box to trip

yes, i'm comfortable wiring up a basic lamp. one other thing - i will have to double check with the mrs, but i'm pretty sure the other light in the kitchen hasn't had any problems, does this help to identify whether or not the circuit is the likely cuplrit?

Sponsored Links
yes, i'm comfortable wiring up a basic lamp. one other thing - i will have to double check with the mrs, but i'm pretty sure the other light in the kitchen hasn't had any problems, does this help to identify whether or not the circuit is the likely cuplrit?

Stop....

Lets clarify what you have because you keep adding bits of info.

You have a single switch controlling two lights in the kitchen - if so
do you both lights work?

Or do you have a double gang switch controlling separate lights and one of the lights causes the RCD to trip?

In either case - as has been suggested several times now - start at the switch and check that nothing has come loose or is damaged.

Then check the same at the light.

Check that your bulb hasn't blown - if it has replace it and try again.

Don't start swopping fittings or taping things up yet.

no, it's 2 seperate switches controlling 2 seperate lights. one is a single lamp, which works fine. the other switch controls the tube light which causes the fuse box to trip. i just wanted to let you know in case it helped to rule anything in (or out)

no, it's 2 seperate switches controlling 2 seperate lights. one is a single lamp, which works fine. the other switch controls the tube light which causes the fuse box to trip. i just wanted to let you know in case it helped to rule anything in (or out)

Okay - power off - then check the switch gang that has the problem light for loose or damaged wires- Then check at the ceiling light for the same.
You might want to wait until daylight to do this.
You could test the circuit with a multi meter to find any problems with the cable - if you had one.
If there is nothing obviously loose or damaged then the problem probably lies with the lighting unit itself.

Has the lamp blown? Can you put a new one to try?
If not then as said before its possible that the choke has gone in the lighting unit and should be replaced.

Sponsored Links
just to let you know, it appears that we have a faulty unit. it has 2 tube bulbs in the unit and whenever you put a bulb in one of the housings it trips the fuse box, so i'm just using one bulb in the working housing (hope that makes sense)

thanks for your help

That's not a good solution.

You don't know if you've cured the fault or just masked it - you should replace the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back