light cracking noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have standard wooden stairs that use wood blocks and wedges and a stringer at each side. The wall-side stringer makes a light cracking noise as we walk up and down and it is persistent. After a few walks up and down it improves but a bit later returns. If I push the stringer with my palm I get the same noise. I have been spraying the stringer and nearby tread and riser with fine water spray with very limited success. A friend says inject foam up in the gap (1/2\\\") between stringer and wall. I wonder if that is in any way \\\"dangerous\\\" I have re-fitted all new blocks between riser and tread which made the stairs very solid but still I get this cracking noise. I also tapped in all wedges. The stairs are 120 years old but I need to fix this as it sounds so bad.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back