New Hardwood stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been working on this project for 3-4 weeks. I had a set of stairs covered with carpet and I wanted to install hardwood. I removed the carpet and original raisers and treads and left the original stringer which was in good condition. I installed new solid maple treads and raisers as well as a false stringer which I had to cut around the existing stringer. I had installed the steps with PL Premium glue and 16 gauge nails. After installation the first two stairs have a "cracking" noise which occur only after the stairs have not been stepped on for some time. After you step on them the noise goes away. It's annoying and I cannot seem to find the problem. It is probably because I did not use enough glue. I installed the treads and raisers directly on the stringers without and wedges.
Any suggestions?
George

Sponsored Links
George - do you still have access to the underside of the staircase? If so, install the wedges you left out to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't - use glue blocks. Also, when you're under there get a guinea-pig (not a real one - too light :) ) to mount the stairs whist you try to localise the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back