What to use for stair treads instead of MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that it is not a good idea to use MDF for stair treads as it can split etc when nailed eg when carpet fitters fit gripper rods.
What is the best material to use and how thick? It will not be seen as it will be carpeted after. Similarly, what should i use for the risers?
The stringers will be oak

Sponsored Links
I think you may have your facts jumbled up.

Grained timber has a propensity to split as opposed to mdf which is quite stable, in that respect.

There can be problems when fitting to mdf as with all products but splitting is not one of them. You will only get separating of the fibre structure if you try and fix into the cut ends.

I was reading on a stair manufacturers website who said they don't use mdf like cheaper manufacturers. Can split near edges especially nosing. They use engineered pine but not sure if I can buy that

Sponsored Links
as said mdf cannot split it can off course delaminate but that will never happen on a tread unless a butcher attacks it

now i personally wont use mdf on stairs i use pine/oak and ply
the difference in material costs is about £80 or 1p a day over the life off the stairs with pine so not worth the savings
pine will take loads off abuse and miss use without any problems
there is nothing wrong with mdf but in my opinion will only be serviceable without maintainance for around 10 years [squeaking loosening needing re-securing] against around 30 to 100 years on pine with minimal touching

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back