Light fitting(s) to plug question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible and safe to wire a light fitting via 3 core cable/T&E to a switched plug?

And if so, can you also wire a second light fitting in parallel to the first and run them both from one plug safely?

Just had down lights installed in own extension I've been left with two light fittings and want to use them in the garage where the lighting is poor at best.

( the plug: http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=PL1003713 )

and these are the fittings in question:

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Sponsored Links
Is it possible and safe to wire a light fitting via 3 core cable/T&E to a switched plug?
T&E isn't really suitable for connecting to a plug but, provided it is done properly, there's no fundamental reason why you could not do it with suitable 3-core flex (and a suitable, probably 3A, fuse in the plug)
And if so, can you also wire a second light fitting in parallel to the first and run them both from one plug safely?
Yes, again assuming it is done properly.

Wiring lights via a plug and socket is not ideal. Have you considered running a fused connection unit from a socket and hard-wiring the lights from that? If you are interested in that idea, there will be further questions :)

Kind Regards, John

Wiring lights via a plug and socket is not ideal. Have you considered running a fused connection unit from a socket and hard-wiring the lights from that? If you are interested in that idea, there will be further questions :)

Kind Regards, John

I hadn't thought of that, would that entail spurring a "fused connection unit with flex outlet" off of a mains socket?

I hadn't thought of that, would that entail spurring a "fused connection unit with flex outlet" off of a mains socket?
It could do, but if you took that approach, you could just use a fused connection unit (without a flex outlet) and wire the lights in T&E cable.

The 'further questions' I mentioned would relate to where you were spurring from, since there are some sockets (such as one which is already itself a spur from a ring circuit) from which you would not be allowed to spur.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It could do, but if you took that approach, you could just use a fused connection unit (without a flex outlet) and wire the lights in T&E cable.

The 'further questions' I mentioned would relate to where you were spurring from, since there are some sockets (such as one which is already itself a spur from a ring circuit) from which you would not be allowed to spur.

Kind Regards, John

The only socket available which I believe is on the main ring circuit unfortunately already has one spur running from it to the extension so I believe that means it can't be done, assuming the one spur per socket rule applies to this?

But I don't why I didn't ask this question first, would it be possible to merely wire the two new lighting fittings in "parallel" from the one existing batten fitting?

I think your meant to have reflector spot light bulbs in there.

Make sure they aren't fitted close to any wood that could burn.

Not the most suitable for a garage.
Maybe a plug is best. So they aren't forced on all the time or left on.

The only socket available which I believe is on the main ring circuit unfortunately already has one spur running from it to the extension so I believe that means it can't be done, assuming the one spur per socket rule applies to this?
I don't think that it's actually contrary to any regulations, per se, but many do not regard it as good practice to have two spurs originating from the same point on a ring (e.g. a socket). As far as I am concerned, their argument that this could impose a high load at one point of the ring (theoretically possibly 'unbalancing' the ring) does not hold much water, since they would usually be happy to take spurs from two sockets which were only a few inches apart on the ring! The more practical issue is that it is not necessarily easy (and may violate manufacturer's instructions as regards 'terminal capacity') to get four conductors into each of the socket's terminals.

One solution would be to break the ring close to the socket and insert an FCU, as part of the ring.
But I don't why I didn't ask this question first, would it be possible to merely wire the two new lighting fittings in "parallel" from the one existing batten fitting?
I think this is the first we've heard of an existing light fitting! Yes, conceptually, there's no reason why you can't simply wire the new lights in parallel with that one (providing its cable has an earth available). How does the existing light get its power - from a lighting circuit?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back