Loft light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend the easiest way to rig up some simple lighting in my loft. I've a couple of cailing rose type light fittings and a load of 2.5mm core T&E sitting around - could I use these?

If so what's the best configuration? Would I need to have a switch or could I simply wire a fused plug onto one end of the cable and wire the light fitting into the other end (much like a table lamp - just with a longer lead that would be plugged into a socket on the landing)? Or is a more complicated rig required? :confused:

Any advice is appreciated, so that I can then get up there and re-insulate the place - can't wait for that!!

Sponsored Links
Familiarise yourself with lighting circuits by looking at Electrics UK - Wiki and FAQ - read this first.

I would recommend ordinary lighting fittings, except that an enclosed or bulkhead lamp will get broken less often when you knock into it. you can use batten holders if you're very mean. Instead of a lamp on a long flex, I'd recommend two or more lamps (depending on size of loft) fitted to illuminate each end. If you fit CFLs you'll probably never need to change a bulb.

1.5mm cable is adequate, you might want the 2.5mm for extra sockets one day.

You can take the supply from one of the ceiling roses for the upstairs lights; or a junction box if there already is one.

I find a very handy switch is a pull-cord one fitted so it hangs over the loft hatch where you will easily find it. I have a big white curtain ring tied to the end of mine to make it easier to see and grab.

Don't put a light switch inside the house as it will probably get switched on (or off) accidentally by people who won't see the light coming on in the loft.

JohnD said:
Familiarise yourself with lighting circuits by looking at Electrics UK - Wiki and FAQ - read this first.

OK I will check this out first

JohnD said:
I would recommend ordinary lighting fittings, except that an enclosed or bulkhead lamp will get broken less often when you knock into it. you can use batten holders if you're very mean. Instead of a lamp on a long flex, I'd recommend two or more lamps (depending on size of loft) fitted to illuminate each end. If you fit CFLs you'll probably never need to change a bulb.
Doyou mean then an ordinary ceiling rose? Very good tip about useing two lights. Excuse my ignorance - what is a CFL?

JohnD said:
1.5mm cable is adequate, you might want the 2.5mm for extra sockets one day.
OK I'll hang onto the 2.5 and get a reel of 1.5mm.

JohnD said:
You can take the supply from one of the ceiling roses for the upstairs lights; or a junction box if there already is one.
Rightho, there are a number of ceiling roses, but no junction box.

JohnD said:
I find a very handy switch is a pull-cord one fitted so it hangs over the loft hatch where you will easily find it. I have a big white curtain ring tied to the end of mine to make it easier to see and grab.
Brilliant idea that! :)

JohnD said:
Don't put a light switch inside the house as it will probably get switched on (or off) accidentally by people who won't see the light coming on in the loft.
Yes, that's also a cracking tip.

Thanks for some cracking tips JohnD!

CFL is a Compact Fluorescent Lamp - those energy-saving lamps that fit in place of an ordinary lightbulb and have a life of 5-6000 hours. They are now small enough to fit in most enclosures.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
And dont insulate OVER wires in the loft when you get a round tuit. Especially shower cables. Run cables on top of the insulation.

Including the ceiling light wiring for the bedrooms?

Do I get some clips and fasten it to the joints?

Thanks

I would definitely run it along the joists, not on top of the insulation where someone will one day trip over it.

Best of all is on the sides of the joists at the top, where you will not stand on the cable and damage it with your great hobnailed boots, but it is not covered by the insulation.

Lighting circuits carry very little current and run a long way inside their capacity, so it is not really an issue for them overheating by being covered by insulation. It is important with shower cables though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back