NEED HELP WIRING A LOFT LIGHT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, I currently have no lights in my loft and want to wire a fluorescent fitting up there. I have found a ceiling rose for a light on the landing(2 way) and want to know how to connect a switch and fitting up to this.

Do I take 1mm from the fitting in the loft and place the live in the centre of the ceiling rose with the lives, the neutral in the neutral of the rose and the earth in the earth point, so that they are all wired in the 3 terminals of my light fitting,

if thats the case, what do I do with the Switch as that needs to be connected somewhere?..Do I take that to the rose as well?..Or do I take that to the fitting?..

Sponsored Links
The first thing to make you aware of, is that this light will be no use whatsoever if anyone needs to work on the upstairs lighting circuit in the loft. Because the circuit will be off. And so will the loft light. :LOL:

Far better, if you can, to spur off a socket ring main circuit with a fused spur.

Anyway, with the arrangement you describe, run the cable as you describe, but then cut it where you need the switch. The two neutrals need to be joined in a bit of terminal block. The lives connect to L1 and COM (either way), and the earths go to the earth on the backbox. Fix the switch near the loft opening.

I find a pullcord works best in the loft. It scares the living **** out of anyone opening the loft hatch for the first time too! :LOL:

So do I run a length of 1mm from the ceiling rose alll the way to the fitting? Where does the switch come from? Bit confused still sorry!

So do I run a length of 1mm from the ceiling rose alll the way to the fitting? Where does the switch come from? Bit confused still sorry!

Don't bother taking feed from socket circuit, too much work involved probably.

Find a ceiling rose or a junction box on the lighting circuit with a permanent live feed, a neutral and an earth.

Run a 1.0 or a 1.5 twin + earth (depending on what has already been used) from here to where you want the loft light switch. Clip cable securely and neatly.

From here run a 1.0 or 1.5 to where you want the fluorescent.

Connect the cable to the fluorescent fitting. Use a rubber grommet where the cable enters the fitting. Sleeve the bare earth wire with earth sleeving. 'Double' the ends of the wire over where they enter each terminal.

At the switch connect the sleeved earths to the earth terminal. Connect the two neutrals together in a piece of 5 amp terminal block. Connect the 'feed in' live to the com terminal of the switch. Connect the remaining live to L1. Make sure the ends of the live wires are doubled over, there is less chance of them breaking off.

Finally, making sure the power is off, connect the cable at the rose or junction box. You need to identify the permanent live: in a rose this is usually the centre terminal.
Earth goes to earth.
Neutral goes to neutral.
Permanent live goes to permanent live.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back