Light fitting very hot...!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,
Can you help?
I bought a light fitting through Fleabay!
my electrician connected it yesterday , we left it on while working on other things ,to find it was very hot only after 20 mins
It's a flush chandelier with 6 x G9 fittings which are max 40watt each ,I used 40 watt lamps ,they are turning black Only after 20 mins.
Should I use 25 watt lamps or is this unit faulty.

Any comments appreciated

K2mut :

Sponsored Links
What's turning black? The lamps, the fitting or a sausage?

Sponsored Links
1) Yes, it will get hot - halogen lamps operate at high temperatures and the envelope of G9 lamps is very small.

2) If the lamps are going black inside that could be because the halogen cycle isn't happening. Is the light on a dimmer switch? Are the lamps some cheap unknown make?

I bought the unit from a company called JAGO in Germany, probably manufactured in China.
it's not on a Dimmer
I am using 40watt Crompton Lamps

Have bought some 25 watt ones today ..should I swap em?

Cheers

They'll run less hot.

I can't think how your two problems could be related. Might be worth contacting Crompton and asking if they are aware of any counterfeits - if the lamps don't have any halogen in them, for example, they will go black quite quickly.

I'm going to pop the 25 watts in tonight to see what happens .... The company I bought the light fitting from have offered to replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back