Light fitting - wiring help - pictures attached.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to do the odds and sods jobs that I've been putting off at the end of our 2 year renovation. I've just taken the old ceiling rose out from the landing and the wires I have going on to the existing light, don't seem to have any comparison to the new. Even the instruction book talks about different colours completely.

I've attached pictures - any advice would be grateful.

https://imgur.com/a/RTIVy

Sponsored Links
L:R

2 x N
1 x E
1 x L

Or maybe 2 x L, 1 x E, 1 x N - impossible to tell without testing, and there's never a guarantee the people have used colours correctly.

As long as you maintain the same connections, everything will work as it does now. Even though not used by the current light, the earth should go in the terminal marked E. And it should be sleeved.

BUT

What inspection of the electrics did you have done before you began the 2-year renovation?

Are those "N" conductors rubber covered? Where does the bare conductor come from? Is it a properly functioning earth? Why is the "L" a single core cable like that? How is the lighting circuit wired, generally?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back