Light not on light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

So I'm in the process of putting in a downstairs toilet and I though I'd make a start by removing all the gubbings from the space to be used (cupboard under the stairs). I plan to ensure everything is accessible for the workman to save some time and mess.

Now I obviously need an extractor and light. But also our current alarm system is in this area and I don't want to move it so I'm going to enclose it somehow (I assume this is OK?).

Anyway after revealing the electrics to the existing light fitting, I discover that the light is actually wired to a spur off a downstairs socket and the socket that I connected the alarm to is also on this spur.

So if I now get the socket correctly wired up to the ring is it acceptable to run the light and extractor off this socket as well?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
You can either reconfigure the ring final circuit (if that is what it is) so that every point is on the ring, or you could spur off the ring, fit a 13A unswitched FCU, then you are free to fit as many outlets as you wish.

Your only limit is the 13A fuse in the initial FCU.

Simple answer is yes.
There will need to be fuses, RCD, etc. in the circuit and as to what is required depends on what is already in place.

So trying to keep it to basics the ring or radial circuit is likely supplied by a 30/32 amp fuse/MCB/RCBO which is too large for lights and also the new wiring will need RCD protection so likely some where a fused connection unit (FCU) with be required and also possibly a RCD FCU if not already protected by RCD. The FCU could be a switched FCU and act as the light switch.

Fan likely also needs a FCU and by using grid switches fan and lights and all fuses can be together in one plate.

The only problem is if there is a power cut due to fuse blowing then no light but even that can be sorted by using an emergency light although unlikely to be required.

Using grid switches fan and light supply can both be switched to same toggle but be electrical separate so a second push button can also work fan if required.

So yes can be done but does need some thought as to how.

Thanks for that. Sounds like I just need to change the junction box on the end of the spur to an FCU and it's good to go.

I might want to plug in a couple of extra items, such as a WiFi router and a NAS. So I just need to keep in mind the power consumption and if it looks like being too much connect the socket to the ring instead.

Sponsored Links
It won't be too much.

If it were to be, then supplying it would be the least of your problems - 13A is about 3kW, so imagine if having a 3-bar electric fire running in that room would be an issue.

Might be a little warm! Thanks all for the input. Glad I don't have to rip up my newly sanded bedroom floorboards to get the light wired up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back