Light rust on steel fireplace fender

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Got the start of some rust, a few light spots and red-ish areas starting, following cleaning the carpet, on a steel fireplace fender.

Is a rust remover product a bit excessive, would some fine wire wool do the job?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
a rust remover product containing phosphoric acid, would convert the active rust into iron phosphate, effectively stopping further rusting, a coating of furniture wax would seal the surface.

Wotan

Many of the "rust converters" turn the rusted area black not a problem if you are going to paint but if you want to keep the steel look it will look worse than the rust.
An old bodge for cleaning up chrome on cars (prior to selling) was to rub the area with a peice of crumpled up kitchen foil moistened with water or a light oil something like 3-in-1 oil is ideal. Might be worth trying on an area out of sight to see how it goes.
Regards,
footprints.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

I had a look at it last night quickly and the shiny steel has become much darker around its footprint, which at a guess may be due to previous restoration/rust treatment.

I like the idea of the fine wool as I guess that might take it back to its former shiny glory also?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back