Light Switch - 6amps or 10amps ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 18 months ago I wired some ceiling spotlights into my living room ceiling. 3off x 50w x 240v halogen spots controlled by a 400W rated dimmer switch. I figured this was a high enough rating with plenty of safety factor for the job.

This morning the dimmer switch burnt out. Fortunately I caught the problem before it got serious. With hindsight I should have replaced the dimmer when it stopped dimming but I figured the switch was ok. My mistake.

As you can imagine I am a little concerned at putting another dimmer back on this circuit. Can I use a simple 2 way switch instead and should I go for 6amps or 10amps based on the 3 spots I have ?

The bank of 3 spots ought to be pulling 0.6 amps ( 150w/240v ) so a 6amp switch ought to be OK but would it matter if I used 10amps instead ?

Sponsored Links
switch amp rating must be = or higher thab mcb rating
so 6A may not be fine

Sponsored Links
stoday, the switch on a socket is controlling one plug top normally, the switch on a spur is feeding through a 13A fuse normally and so 32A doesnt come into it ?????? if someone has a 10A breaker for their lighting circuit and wires four 500 watt flood lights through a 1 gang switch 6A rated this could be a problem therefore switch rating higher than or = mcb and you are safe

So the switches on ring final components (sockets & FCUs) should be rated at 32A eh?

Nope, because these accessories are all rated at 13A.

Edit: Sorry, fireman. Didn't see your contribution...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back