Light Switch advice

dk3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys (and girls)
moved in recently, the light on landing upsatirs controlled by a Timeguard switch and can turn it on/off at bottom of stairs on normal switch. one night bulb went but also the red light on Timeguard switch. didnt work after that, checked all wiring. now when I tried again to fix it it is on constantly, is this something to do with the Timeguard(no light so presume is not working) or I have I messed something else up

no instructions for the Timeguard so I dont know if red light on switch means anything. if the bulb works(albeit permanently) I should be able to fix it

any suggestions, many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the timeguard switch is electronic, its innards might have fried when the bulb blew. :(

could this have resulted in now not being able to turn the light off at the switch.

is taking the bulb out the same as switching a light off, should I be concerned with the power continously running to the light?

Yes it sounds like it is faulty & yes you should be concerned about leaving it switched on with no lamp in place removing the lamp is NOT the same as switching off( from a safety point of view)

Sponsored Links
thanks, I have tried to replace the timeguard switch and did get it working properly momentarily, but a wire broke when i went to screw the switch back in place and now wont reach the switch to re wire it. how can i extend the cable?

thanks Breezer, I wouldnt even know where to start with that. can i do something like connect to a plastic box and then cable from there to switch, like in a ceiling rose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back