Light switch controls lighting for 2 rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a property. I have made an offer, and after my own little survey, I noticed a few issues with the electrics.

The current owner has installed a partition wall where you enter the property to create a hallway that is separate from the living room (before you entered the property into the living room.

However, the light switch is in its original position and control the hallway lights and the living room lights. The living room doesn't have its own designated light switch. If you want to control the living room lights, you must do so from the hallway which is separated from the living room by a door.

Another small issue I noticed is that in one of the bedrooms, an extension lead is hardwired behind skirting board to create a socket outlet in a favourable position. It is plugged into a socket in a wardrobe that isn't easily accessible.

Would these issues fail an electrical installation inspection? Is it worth negotiating with the seller to reduce the price in order to fix these issues?

Many thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Would these issues fail an electrical installation inspection?
No, not if they are safe electrically.

Is it worth negotiating with the seller to reduce the price in order to fix these issues?
It's always worth doing that but all they have to say is that they already allowed for it.

Anyway, from what I read, I expect the price is already dirt cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back