Light Switch/Fitting Problem 1- way circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Guys, Your help is desparatlely needed.

I replaced a old ceiling rose with a 3 bulb halogen light fitting today and follow all wiring instructions properly, when i turned the power back on the light was illuminated but the switch was in the off position. When i flicked the switch the breaker kicked in and turned off the power, i cheked the wiring and all was ok, so i removed the new fitting and refitted the ceiling rose, same problem, even with no switch attached at the wall the light is on when i turn the power on....I do not have the money to call an electrician and wondered if u could shed any light on this..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
oh yeah and i have 3 red, 3 black and 3 bare copper wires at the ceiling point. what i cant understand is how the light remains on when there is no switch connected and why it blows the trip switch when i turn the switch off. i did try to reverse the wiring on the switch and i have destroyed 2 dimmer switches!! :oops: :cry:

Sponsored Links
oh yeah and i have 3 red, 3 black and 3 bare copper wires at the ceiling point. what i cant understand is how the light remains on when there is no switch connected and why it blows the trip switch when i turn the switch off. i did try to reverse the wiring on the switch and i have destroyed 2 dimmer switches!! :oops: :cry:

It honestly doesn't sound like you have sufficient knowledge to carry out this job. For your own safety, you need the help of someone who knows what they are doing.
Before taking off the ceiling rose, you should have identified and marked the cable going to the switch.
Because you didn't do that, all three cables must be removed and properly identified.
This is easy to do but obviously carries a high risk of electrocution to someone who is not competent.
You will also need some some basic electrical test equipment, either a meter or an approved voltage detector.
Also, those three bare copper wires are the earth conductors and should have green/yellow sleeving.

Please, for your own safety, get help!

Frank

hi there, thank for the replies but sorted now with help of friend. Should have checked before removing old rose to see which was switched live as had no red sheath on it. lesson learnt. Thanks in particular to 333rocky333

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back