light switch issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm trying to sort my hallway/landing light.

My partner has been doing some diy whilst ive been at work and she cant remember how the old switches were wired !!

We've got a double switch downstairs that operates the hall light and the landing light and a singe switch upstairs which only operates the landing light.

Downstairs there is 2 x twin and earth cables (red and black) one of which has yellow tape on the red cable.

Upstairs there is a black,red and grey cable.

At the minute upstairs has black into L1, red into L2 and grey into com.

Downstairs the switch cable ? (yellow tape) is in Com and linked across to the other com. but i've a feeling there should be another link somewhere as one of the L1 terminals is empty.

At the minute the double switch works both, however if the upstairs light is on the upstairs switch wont turn it off.

How can I test which cable is which and get them up and working again ? Is there a wiring diagram on here somewhere as I cant find an appropriate one !

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The upstairs switch is probably correct.

Downstairs, one of the cables will be for the downstairs light, and should be red (probably with the yellow tape) to Com and black to L1.

You need a link from Com to the Com on the other switch.

The 2nd cable goes into the other switch, and should be black into L1 and red into L2.

that grey will likely be a red inside a grey outer sheath, the lazy bugger installing it didn't bother to strip back the outer to ID the cable..

anyway you have a classic "2 plate" 2 way switching there.. ( see the wiki.. )

the red / black cable is the strappers and do indeed go in L1 and L2 ( on a switch with C or Com as the other terminal )

we need pictures of both switches to help you further.. can't see it can't fix it.. or at least it's a heck of a lot harder..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back