Light switch reversed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a number of light switches in my house that are reversed, i.e. off is on, on is off. Forgive my ignorance is this a case of face plate being put on upside down or are they wired wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If a two way switch swapping L1 and L2 (assuming one terminal marked common) will swap the way they work. With non two way then must turn switch.

However what is the "Right Way"? With large switches it is considered should anything drop on the switch and operate it then it should switch it off. So all breakers are down for off. However smaller switches have traditionally been mounted the other way up so switching down will switch it on.

Clearly with the rocker switch little is likely to fall on a switch and move it. More likely something being lent against it would operate it which would mean it would hardly matter which way. But with a toggle switch then down for off would seem the sensible option.

However nearly every 13A socket has the switch down for on so to swap this for lights may cause confusion.

So which way is "The Right Way" and could one really criticise anyone if mounted the other way?

Sponsored Links
Afaict conventional british practice is that down is on up is off, it's what our sockets use, what our old consumer units used how we expect our lightswitches to be and so-on.

OTOH european influenced stuff like modern consumer units seem to be down is off, up is on.

From what i've seen isolators on equipment tend to be rotary.

If a two way switch swapping L1 and L2 (assuming one terminal marked common) will swap the way they work. With non two way [two terminals only] then must turn switch.

However what is the "Right Way"? With large switches it is considered should anything drop on the switch and operate it then it should switch it off. So all breakers are down for off. However smaller switches have traditionally been mounted the other way up so switching down will switch it on.
Im, rightly or wrongly, for sticking with down for on for lights etc to match the way sockets are. Nothing annoys me more than have an light switch 'upside down' compared to the others in the house.

Daniel

Im, rightly or wrongly, for sticking with down for on for lights etc to match the way sockets are. Nothing annoys me more than have an light switch 'upside down' compared to the others in the house.

Daniel

What do you do when you see double switches, 2 pole 2 locations, rush through the floors, on and off (repeat) untill they are 'right' :eek:

What do you do when you see double switches, 2 pole 2 locations, rush through the floors, on and off (repeat) untill they are 'right' :eek:
Well obviously not, ditto, I dont go turning the lights off so the switches 'match' but with both(all) in the 'off' possition the lights on a double(multi) swtiched light circuit should still be off and viseversa for on.

Daniel

You are going to have a lifetime of disappointment.
I think thats a slight overstament of case. Very mild disappointment maybe. Fortuantly however it is massivly over shadowed by my otherwise most excelent enjoyment of life.

Daniel

I didn't mean that it would be of lifetime significance/importance.

Just that in your whole lifetime you'll never get this:
with both(all) in the 'off' possition the lights on a double(multi) swtiched light circuit should still be off and viseversa for on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back