Light switch wiring help!! (moved from GD)

Sponsored Links
Whoever issues the certificate must be registered and qualified,
That is not the case.
Anyone may do the work and may issue a certificate.
You will note I correctly use 'may' (i.e. are allowed to), whether they 'can' (i.e. have the knowledge) is another matter.

You state anyone can issue the certificate,
They 'may'.

Its a bit like saying anyone can issue a MOT certificate for their car, regardless of knowledge.
That's not the same. MoT inspectors are licensed (if that is the right word).
Electricians are not.
In order to do notifiable work (as per the B.R.) without notifying the L.A in advance they have to be registered with a self-certification scheme. This does not relate to issuing electrical certificates.
Is that where you are confusing certification?
They would be better named Self-notifying schemes.
The only notifiable work now is:

(a)the installation of a new circuit; It is up to you to define new.
(b)the replacement of a consumer unit; It is up to you to define replacement.
(c)any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.
A special location being within the zones of a bathroom etc. - wet areas.

I would suggest to a DIY`er putting in an outside light it would be easier to fit a Solar Power light, these are very cheap these days, operate remotely no need for any switching, come in many modern designs and cheap to run, coloured LED`s if one wants, cheapy outlets do them , i.e lidl, Pound Shops etc.
What do you mean by a DIYer?
I presume you mean someone who does not know how to do it.

If someone does know how to do it, they won't be here asking.

You may think electrical work should be illegal except for the qualified but it isn't.
Do you think this forum should not be allowed or does it help?

You appear to be saying anyone can carry out Electrical works and self certificate the works themselves, which I feel is misleading.

The reason the legislation was changed was to stop people putting in sub standard and dangerous electrical fittings. The original poster seems to fall within this category with their limited knowledge of how to wire up a light switch.
To be able to be a competent person under the Self certification scheme one has to have their work assessed to meet the level of competence required and be subjected to ongoing inspections, and payment into the Self Certification Scheme

The original poster can hard wire the light fitting but as it is classed as exterior electrical installation( you have listed it under category C special location, exterior lighting) will be subject to certification, either by the Local Authority or by a Competent Electrician who is part of the self Certification scheme.
As I said before an exterior solar panel light would be the simplest/safest and cheapest answer.

You appear to be saying anyone can carry out Electrical works and self certificate the works themselves, which I feel is misleading.
Yes as long as you don't confuse issuing a certificate for work done with self-certifying (sef-notifying) notifiable work.

It is misleading. The electrical trade is very good at choosing bad names and similar abbreviations.

The reason the legislation was changed
Introduced rather than changed, yes.
However, it has recently been relaxed (changed) to the point it is now virtually worthless.

was to stop people putting in sub standard and dangerous electrical fittings. The original poster seems to fall within this category with their limited knowledge of how to wire up a light switch.
That would appear to be the case but there is nothing to stop him doing it.
So, it might be better if we help him.
To be able to be a competent person under the Self certification scheme one has to have their work assessed to meet the level of competence required and be subjected to ongoing inspections, and payment into the Self Certification Scheme
That is true (self notification) but that certification has NOTHING to do with issuing a certificate for work carried out.

The original poster can hard wire the light fitting but as it is classed as exterior electrical installation( you have listed it under category C special location, exterior lighting) will be subject to certification, either by the Local Authority or by a Competent Electrician who is part of the self Certification scheme.
No it won't. Outside lighting was one of the things removed from the notifiable jobs list.
It used to be listed under its own name - outside lighting.
Outside is not and never was a special location so it does not come under C.

Ah - another confusion.

The term 'special location' regarding notifiable work has the definition listed in the Building Regulations.
This is different than the special locations in BS7671.

Sponsored Links
Whoever issues the certificate must be registered and qualified
No they don't! Completely untrue!
It is easy enough to download, purchase the model forms, you could even make your own template form up if you wanted.
There is no requirement that the person filling those forms in, has to registered or qualified!
Where are you getting this incorrect information from.

Below is a picture of the outside light and the wiring i have installed. The new wire gas the usual blue, brown and earth.

I have connected the earth but cannot see another earth already connected.

Below is also a picture of the other double socket which power both of the sets of lights in the kitchen. This one does have blue wires in it.View attachment 104088 View attachment 104089

Given the fact that you are obviously re decorating :LOL: run a cable from lighting circuit ( possibly the existing ceiling light). And let rid if that bloody trunking ! and please use earth sleeving ! Do it right ……… :)

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back