Light switch wiring help!! (moved from GD)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with wiring my kitchen lightswitch.

I have today installed an outside light which i wish to power from my all ready existing light swith with is near to my back door and powers one of my kitchen ceiling lights.

I have copied the original light swith wires into one side of my new double switch but am lost now what to do without being able to see a neutral. The kitchen light works as it did with what i have done so far

Picture attached for reference.

Please help.

Attachments

• 20160825_141309.jpg
    20160825_141309.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Do you have a neutral at the new light?
As they are only switch wires and earth pictured.
If that cable is running directly to the new outside fitting and you have not supplied a neutral to it, it will not work!

Yes, this is the outside light.

It had a live, neutral and earth. These can be seen to the top of the not connected.

Sponsored Links
I can only see switch wires. One blue and one brown. Is there something else?
You need a neutral, not a coloured cable that is that colour.
Have you supplied a neutral from anywhere?
Is that blue cable tied into a neutral?
Please explain exactly what you have done.

Below is a picture of the outside light and the wiring i have installed. The new wire gas the usual blue, brown and earth.

I have connected the earth but cannot see another earth already connected.

Below is also a picture of the other double socket which power both of the sets of lights in the kitchen. This one does have blue wires in it.
Screenshot_2016-08-25-14-52-02.jpg
20160825_144625.jpg

Attachments

• 20160825_145037.jpg
    20160825_145037.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 97
  • Still no neutral . Just switch wires.
Me thinks you are going to have to extend the wires to the outside light and connect to a plug. :whistle:

Was there originally an outside light there?
It is unclear exactly what you currently have at the light fitting. Do you just have this one twin and earth cable between the switch and outside light and is there anything else with regards to cable at the outside light, other than the cable set shown at the switch?

Is there by chance a neutral in the backbox of switch?

I think you may have taken on a task without doing any research on how things work.
Looks like you have over looked/ignored the fact that neutral supply is required, they do not magic up by themselves!
It would be worth you looking Wiki>UK Electrics>lighting and lamps>one way lighting.

Handy Jack, i know your right. God damn it....

Seemed such a good idea when i started out. Ffs.

Prentice boy of derry, these are the only wires in their... My new ones and the original ones connected to the new double socket.

Attachments

• 20160825_150817.jpg
    20160825_150817.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 129
Like I and others have implied, you are lacking a neutral. The light will not work without it!

Blue is the colour but neutral is not it's game!

And you also need to make sure you have a cpc at that double SWITCH (not socket!:)) to connect the other cpc's to.

What is the cpc from the existing three core and earth cable connected to at the moment?

Guys,

Thanks you so much for your help. I have clearly effed up here. Oh well, no real harm done i suppose except a few hours wasted time.

Can i run a wire from a plug to a separate light switch mounted near to a plug socket behind my fridge so i can turn it on and off?

And you also need to make sure you have a cpc at that double SWITCH (not socket!:)) to connect the other cpc's to.

What is the cpc from the existing three core and earth cable connected to at the moment?
There is a CPC connected to the backbox secure, from the three core, whether it has continuity is another issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back