Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing a two way light switch from a pull switch to a traditional switch. The switch is mounted on a plastic conduit patress with no earth.

What do I do with the earth wire?

Other style boxes have an earth terminal, so do it just connect the earth wire to a 5 amp terminal block?

Sponsored Links
I am changing a two way light switch from a pull switch to a traditional switch.
Which room is the switch in?

How will you extend the cables?

Where will you run the cables?

Are you aware of the law regarding Building Regulations approval for some electrical work, and what the Wiring Regulations say about junction boxes and routes and RCD protection for concealed cables?

Which room is the switch in?
What difference does that make, do different rooms require the earth wire to be terminated in different ways?

How will you extend the cables?
I don't have to, there's enough cable to move the switch.

Where will you run the cables?
Er, down the wall I guess.

Are you aware of the law regarding Building Regulations approval for some electrical work, and what the Wiring Regulations say about junction boxes and routes and RCD protection for concealed cables?
What law do I break by changing a switch and not getting building regs?
Since I'm not using any junction boxes or concealing any cables, way should that be an issue for me?

Sponsored Links
What difference does that make, do different rooms require the earth wire to be terminated in different ways?
No, but some work in some rooms requires Building Regulations approval when it wouldn't in other rooms.

I don't have to, there's enough cable to move the switch.
Fair enough - it's just that it's unusual for there to be enough spare cable to move the switch position from the ceiling to the wall.

What law do I break by changing a switch and not getting building regs?
Quite possibly the Building Act 1984.

Since I'm not using any junction boxes or concealing any cables, way should that be an issue for me?
Fair enough, but see above.

It's unusual for there to be enough spare cable to be able to move a switch from the ceiling to a wall, and it's unusual for people to be happy with cables running down the surface of the wall, i.e. not concealed, that's all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back