Where to earth lighting switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Long timer looking, first time poster.

Quick question, I went to replace a light switch in my work room, as the switch was broke, I opened it up and the earth wire just a had a piece on connection block onto it as the plastic patress has no earth connection. Is this ok?

The switch t and e is coming from The junction box, which also has the fuse spur and light twin n earth cables, so the switch is earthed in the jb but not at the socket.

Many thanks
T-J

Sponsored Links
Yes thank you very much. The sockets are earthed fine. It was just the light switch that was in a connection block as there was no where else to put it. All the other earths were ok

Sponsored Links
All lights must have earths. It's not always about being used, but it is about the potential to use it.

If the switch were metal plate type then the earth would terminate on that. Where metal back boxes are fitted they have an earth terminal in the inside corner.

As you have found out a plastic back box and a plastic switch means there isn't any earth fixing point. So a terminal block has been used. Which is the correct thing to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back