light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double light switch that feeds an outside light and the hallway, at the back of the light there are 2 blocks, 1 has a red a green and a blue wire going in, and there is a red going from one block to the other, all I want to do is split them so that I have 2 seperate switches, what is the solution please

Sponsored Links
Red, green and blue seems an odd combination. Can you post a photo?

all I want to do is split them so that I have 2 seperate switches, what is the solution please
Your existing switch is just 2 switches on the same faceplate. As long as you faithfully transfer the cables from each block of terminals to the ones in the new switches you'll be fine. Check the Wiki if there's a discrepancy between how the old & new are labelled (C/L1/L2 vs L1/L2/L3).

Bear in mind you must link the new switches together in the way the current 2 halves are linked with that piece of red cable.

Why do you want to swap? Most people prefer a single 2-gang switch to two 1-gang ones close together - the latter is difficult to get looking right.

Sponsored Links
I wanted the 2 switches because every time somebody is putting the hall light on they press the wrong switch and it puts the outside security light off, I know it sounds stupid but at least the pir will still be set to on with another switch

If they are that thick why will they suddenly be able to tell one switch from the other?

If you dont want the outside light turning off, link its switch out. I know its an ugly hack, but it'll work.

If they are that thick why will they suddenly be able to tell one switch from the other?

He's gonna stick a bit of gaffa tape over one and write in black marker "do not switch off".

Or he could follow my advice about linking the switch out. . . I've done this myself in the past.

Glue a piece of coarse sandpaper on the rocker of the switch that must not be touched. That might reduce the number of times it is switched in error.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back