Light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced my old plastic light switch with a new metal one. The light works, it comes on, but it won't turn off. I've tried the old switch back on it and still won't turn off. What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
you need to tell us how many wires you got there and waht you have done with them

There are 2 red wires which I put in the top, COM, and a black wire that I put into L1.

Sponsored Links
thats where you went wrong then.

is there anything else you would like to tell us?

its just 3 wires implies you can turn light off / on from two places i.e each end of one room

2 reds and a black - cant say i have heard that one before. i would say connect the reds across the switch, but then what to do with the black . . . ??

lasutd said:
I've just replaced my old plastic light switch with a new metal one. The light works, it comes on, but it won't turn off. I've tried the old switch back on it and still won't turn off. What am I doing wrong?

How was the old one wired? Why are you messing around with a dangerous voltage with no knowledge?

pdcelec said:
How was the old one wired? Why are you messing around with a dangerous voltage with no knowledge?
Stretching your patience beyond its limit, clearly.

crafty1289 said:
2 reds and a black - cant say i have heard that one before.

Imagine this with single reds to each COM, and red/black T/E linking the two switches.

2way3.gif

Hey presto - 2 reds and a black, and wired as lasutd said, it could be on all the time depending on the position of the other switch.

What I don't understand is why he didn't wire the new switch in the same way as the old one - seems like such a sensible idea...

And one hiding behind a wardrobe, or a pull cord he never new he had.........or even a switch that has been blanked off, or the cables pulled out and a JB fitted.......

Numerous ways it can be wired, but BAS's seems the most logical at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back