Wiring a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello.
Replacing old light with new. I understand the neutrals go to neutrals and the switch live goes to the light and the other 3 go into a block on their own. I’ve check the other lights in the house and they are wired exactly like this.
The light won’t come on.
What am I doing wrong?
Thank you
https://pasteboard.co/HzMMYzb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are ALL of the other lights working correctly?
Are you certain the black with the red sleeve WAS sleeved red before you started?
Any broken or loose wires?
Have you done any other electrical work recently?
Is there a fuse or breaker somewhere isolated?

All sorted.
I had to combine the switch wire with the other two red lives wires and it’s all working as it should. Thanks for your reply.

All sorted.
I had to combine the switch wire with the other two red lives wires and it’s all working as it should. Thanks for your reply.
??

Your picture shows the red of the switch cable 'combined' with the other two reds.

Sponsored Links
This makes no sense.

1) All the reds needed to be connected together.

2) You had all the reds connected together:

upload_2018-8-18_23-57-53.png

3) You said "I had to combine the switch wire with the other two red lives wires and it’s all working as it should", i.e. you said "I had to connect all the reds together like I already had and it’s all working as it should."

4) When sparkwright said "Your picture shows the red of the switch cable 'combined' with the other two reds" you said "Yeah, this is where I was going wrong".

In other words when it was pointed out that you had right from the start done what you said needed to be done, you said that doing right from the start what you said needed to be done was where you were going wrong. o_O

Those earth conductors must be connected together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back