Extra wire for security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 36314
Hello,
I think I've got a similar issue to the original poster.
My garage is seperate from the house, on one of it's walls there was a PIR security light. As the garage itself doesn't have any lighting I wanted to install a light in there and use the existing power cable that comes from the house.
There is a switch for this light in the kitchen.
I bought an external light in a plastic enclosure to use in the garage, this has two terminals for live and neutral.
The cable that was feeding the security light had 4 wires as shown in the picture. I presume the red is the live, blue neutral, yellow switched live and the bare copper with the sleaving is the earth, I'll check exactly which is which when I borrow a multimeter on Monday.
My question is how do I wire up the new light in the garage? I was thinking the switched live should go in the light live terminal and the neutral should go in the neutral terminal, but I'm not sure what to do with the other live wire. Would anyone be able to advise?
The instructions with the new light only say to put in a live and a neutral.
I'll be getting an electrician in for some other work so he could sort it then, but that won't be for a few months and I'd like to get it sorted now if I can do it myself.
Thanks
George

Sponsored Links
To wire your new light all you have to do is connect the live to live terminal and neutral to neutral terminal. Also put the other wire and green/yellow sleeved earth in separate connectors - from each other and out of the way.

To find out which is the switched live and permanent live:
Either use a meter or SWITCH OFF POWER and

look in the switch - the wire connected to the live (red) from the other cable in the switch (not the Red,Yellow,Blue and earth) will be the permanent.
The wire connected to the other terminal on the switch is the switched live.

There should be two blue wires connected together - the neutrals.

If you want the garage light to work from this switch then use the switched live.

Thanks to moderator 8 for making a new thread and EFLImpudence for the advice, I'll try tomorrow.
Cheers
George

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back