Light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
0D898267-9FD5-491B-B86A-040792F1187B.jpeg
Hi my upstairs light switch is not working the downstairs light for the hall is not working so took the front off to change it and the wires are not connected but don’t know what way they go can anyone help.

Sponsored Links
In a word no. To work it out you need to test and investigate what the wires are connected to, often a two way switch goes switch to switch with three core and earth cable, there was a time when people would borrow a line from another lamp, this allowed two core and earth to be used, but it caused interference with hearing aids and the like, and if the lighting circuits used more than one MCB or fuse, it could cause what is called a borrowed neutral, which is dangerous.

It went on unnoticed for years, but when we started to use RCD's the faults were highlighted, so some thing had to be done, one easy cure was to disconnect the second switch, not saying this is why yours is disconnected, but it may be.

However there are today some wireless switches some have batteries, and some use the energy of switching to send the signal, so there are ways around the problem, but not cheap.

It could be time consuming to trace wires, so it really depends on how much you want it to be done? As to a step by step guide, not really practical, you need some knowledge yourself, I had the same with this house, not lights, but central heating, it's part guess work, part testing, I thought I wonder if that wire goes to the Utility room, seems likely, so then I test, then wonder if that wire goes to granny flat, so again I test. Can't see how with a forum we would be able to guess and test, that needs to be done with some one on site.

In a word no. To work it out you need to test and investigate what the wires are connected to, often a two way switch goes switch to switch with three core and earth cable, there was a time when people would borrow a line from another lamp, this allowed two core and earth to be used, but it caused interference with hearing aids and the like, and if the lighting circuits used more than one MCB or fuse, it could cause what is called a borrowed neutral, which is dangerous.

It went on unnoticed for years, but when we started to use RCD's the faults were highlighted, so some thing had to be done, one easy cure was to disconnect the second switch, not saying this is why yours is disconnected, but it may be.

However there are today some wireless switches some have batteries, and some use the energy of switching to send the signal, so there are ways around the problem, but not cheap.

It could be time consuming to trace wires, so it really depends on how much you want it to be done? As to a step by step guide, not really practical, you need some knowledge yourself, I had the same with this house, not lights, but central heating, it's part guess work, part testing, I thought I wonder if that wire goes to the Utility room, seems likely, so then I test, then wonder if that wire goes to granny flat, so again I test. Can't see how with a forum we would be able to guess and test, that needs to be done with some one on site.
I half get what you mean I thought it would be a quick fix if you get me like x goes to y but I don’t have the stuff to test it in a way a spark would I might just get a quote for someone to have a look at it.

I might just get a quote for someone to have a look at it.
Get someone in and pay them an hours labour to identify the wires, and if possible connect them to the switch(es).

Don't waste someone's time and money getting a quote for such a tiny and insignificant thing.

Sponsored Links
Get someone in and pay them an hours labour to identify the wires, and if possible connect them to the switch(es).

Don't waste someone's time and money getting a quote for such a tiny and insignificant thing.
Yer I understand that but the last person I got to give me quote was to change the code on my alarm he done it there and than and said you owe me over £250 that’s why I get a quote now. Needless to say I told him to jog on to start with after he said that.

Ring, explain the problem and ask for an idea of the likely cost - maybe send them your photo. It would be unfair to have several spend time and fuel to come and look at it, when not much can be decided about the cost by simply looking at it.

Ring, explain the problem and ask for an idea of the likely cost - maybe send them your photo. It would be unfair to have several spend time and fuel to come and look at it, when not much can be decided about the cost by simply looking at it.
I am on a next door app and just put a ask on there with a brief description so I’ll see what happens there

I am not impressed with such people, on such systems, so please be careful. Make sure its a no fix, no fee arrangement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back