Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our living room has two ceiling lights and two wall lights. The switches for all four lights are in one unit.
We want to remove the wall lights and therefore reduce the switch down to just two. I know which switches operate which light but cant work out which wires I do not need.
Does this make sense?

Thanks

Bobbler

Sponsored Links
you dont need the ones connected to the wall lights.

you should idealy remove all the cables for the wall lights, since if you "tape them over" not only is it dangerours but a PITA if you want to put up say, some wall lights

Partly it makes sense.
how many switches are there?
what switches switch which light 9or lights)
what wires go onto what terminations on the switch
can u take a photo of the back of the switch

remember, if you take off the wall lights you will have to either remove the wires or disconnect them from wherever they connect up. If you are lucky it will be in the light switch, if not you may have to pull up some floor. (unless you've got a bungalow....)

I can tell that I have gone a bit gung ho here.

Picture is attached.

The lights must be switched at a junction box which I presume will be under the floor in the bedrooms. I did not want to go there but I can see I might have to.

How do you attach a photo?[/url]

Sponsored Links
and when you get really good you can do this

LIGHT%20SWITCH.jpg

but looking as we see the picture, which switch does what?

As far as I can see, you have one three core cable (red, yello & blue)
one two core cable (red & black) and a single red.
Is that right?

Where does the single red go?. You have no protective grommets in any of the holes, that single red is at risk of shorting without it. The conductor doesnt even seem to have and outer sheath to protect it...

as it looks newer, i'm going to guess that the 3core+Earth is the cable to the new wall lights and the new ceiling light.. ?

does that T+E have an earth wire in it? hard to see from the photo..

the red that goes to all the switches is the live feed.. you need to keep this

the black will be the feed to one of the ceiling lights and the other one you will need to investigate..

take down each light and do us a photo so we can advise further.. ta..

Thanks to both of you for your interest and breezer - how did you do that?

OK Looking at the photo from left to right the four switches operate wall light, ceiling light, ceiling light, wall light.

Taylortwocities - You are right about the cables. The single red in need of a grommet goes to a switch on the other side of the wall that operates a light at the top of the stairs.

ColJack Yes the 3core + Earth has an earth wire as does the what appears to be two core but is not. They are together in the earth sleeving at the back og the box.

I have done a bit more work. I have removed the wires (both three core, black, red and earth) that were feeding the wall lights and traced them back to a junction box under the floor on the landing. The red wires from the wall light wires were "attached to" the red from the red/yellow/blue set and the black from the black/red/ earth set. I am therefore assuming that yellow and blue are the ones I need to keep and the red from the black/red/earth wire.

Am I making sense?

To be honest I am fed up with the whole thing at the moment.

Thanks

Bobbler

That red on the left of the switch. Is it connected to anything?

If it isn't, then the single red from the switch on the other side of the wall is the feed into the 4 way switch, not out of it.

The red, yellow & blue of the 3 core and the black are all switchwires.

Seeing as you have disconnected some conductors, just put each of those in turn in a connector with the live feed (while the power is OFF) then reconnect & you will find out what each colour of switchwire actually illuminates.

sounds right to me....

I would however substitute the red in the red/yellow/blue for the red in the red/black as this then leaves you with only one live cable making the red/black obsolete.. this can then be either cut off in the switch and JB as close to where they come in as possible, or crimped / blocked and left in the back of the switch / JB, OR cut and pulled out completely.. ( the best idea.. )

also remove any remaining wires that go to the wall lights as described above..

You have a single sheathed core there going out from that switch box going out through a single metal hole - that is a double no-no I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back