Wall downlighter installation advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to install one wall mounted light in my hall to save having to put on the two ceiling lights.

The stud wall has a two way single switch which turn on and off the ceiling lights. Below this switch is a wall socket on a ring circuit.

Checking the wall switch I have four wires
1 black
2 Brown
3 grey
4 earth

Question

Can I tap into the switch and add the wall light and/or add a two gang switch one to operate the hall ceil lights and other the wall light.

Or

Can I tap into the wall socket put in a fused switch to the wall light.

advice greatly appreciated, house is two year old with timber stud wall.

Anthony

Sponsored Links
The wall light cores suggest this is a two way switching and has no neutral.
You will require a neutral to complete a circuit for the wall light.
So down fusing from the socket could be a better option.
Does this circuit have RCD protection? As any newly buried cable will require 30mA RCD protection, if not mechanically protected.

Hi
The ring circuit has a RDC trip on the main board. If I spur off this to a fused switch using a 5amp fuse am I correct?

Hi
The ring circuit has a RDC trip on the main board. If I spur off this to a fused switch using a 5amp fuse am I correct?
Yes or a 3A fuse and provided there isn't already a spur from the socket or it is a spur itself.
However, you will not be able to have both your hall light switch and the switched fused connection unit in the same unit - they will need to be separate.
You can have both switches in the same unit but you will need to change to a grid switch system - containing the fused connection unit, the switch for the wall lamp and the switch for your hall light.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I intend to keep the hall ceiling light switch and the wall light fused switch separate. The wall socket will be straight below the new fused switch, keeps cables in stud straight in line and neater.

You can have both switches in the same unit but you will need to change to a grid switch system - containing the fused connection unit, the switch for the wall lamp and the switch for your hall light.
Or have an unswitched FCU by the socket, and a normal 2-gang light switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back