Light wont turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my ceiling plastered, not changed any wiring. Just fitted new light switch and light unit and light wont switch off.
I've tried a separate switch and a separate light unit but still no joy.

Some pics below, what am I missing?

henry vaughan quotes

Sponsored Links
On the basis that you claim not to have altered the wiring in terminal block at the light termination unit, connect the brown, live wire on the light fitting to the single black wire.

By the way, you'll get a raft of complaints about bare terminal blocks being left in ceiling voids - it should be within a maintenance free unit.

Can you not replace the above with a ceiling rose?
daves-ceiling-rose.jpg

thanks, Jackrae that worked. I have some junction boxes to use as opposed to blocks in the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
As longs as your junction boxes have independent cable strain prevention/relief .

If that plastic connector simply sits inside the light fitting it is acceptable. If you push it into the ceiling void it isn't.
Using a junction box, (unless it is a maintenance free type), is also not acceptable because it would need to be accessible, which it won't be as it would also be in the ceiling void.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back