Lighting - Adding new light and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the lighting setup I've got as it doesn't seem to match what I've seen before or diagrams I can find on the internet.
I want to add a new light and switch (replace existing one gang switch for a 2 gang) - however, it looks like all the wiring (than I want to branch from) has been done in the switch, rather than via a junction box or ceiling rose. Is this typical (Its a new house - built 2007)?

So, the question is, do I take the feed (From A (live) and B on the pic attached) from a new 2 gang switch to a new junction box, and then split back to the 2nd gang on a new switch. Or.... Can I do it all in the same switch? If so, how?

Pic added for clarity. Ignore the 3 core & Earth wires. I think this is for an extractor fan that I'm not touching.

Pic:

Sponsored Links
Easy.

Fit a new 2G switch, making sure the wires in "C" are swapped over to the switch you are using for the existing light.

Take the conductors that are in "A" and place one of each in the two Common terminals on the 2G switch, fitting a link wire between them.

That leaves the L1 terminal of the new light switch, to which you connect the brown of a new T&E cable which feeds the new light. The N of the new light cable goes to the Neutral terminal "B" and the CPC (earth wire) goes to the earth terminal on the back box.

Easy.

Fit a new 2G switch, making sure the wires in "C" are swapped over to the switch you are using for the existing light.

Take the conductors that are in "A" and place one of each in the two Common terminals on the 2G switch, fitting a link wire between them.

That leaves the L1 terminal of the new light switch, to which you connect the brown of a new T&E cable which feeds the new light. The N of the new light cable goes to the Neutral terminal "B" and the CPC (earth wire) goes to the earth terminal on the back box.

Thanks Securespark. That's just what I was after. Much appreciated.

the lighting setup I've got as it doesn't seem to match what I've seen before or diagrams I can find on the internet.
Really?

t2565752.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting-circuit-layouts#looping-at-switches

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back