Lighting and Ring socket circuits testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've been given a new assignment at and I was wondering if someone could help me out. This is what the task says:

'Explain how to carry out Continuity of CPC, Polarity, and Insulation testing for two way lighting circuit and Ring final circuit'

I need to know step by step how to carry out a test. I need something like a guide telling me what I have to set a Megger on, what values I should get and conductors I should test between. Something like a 'newbie' guide. I will really appriciate any help

Thank you in advice

Sponsored Links
Hello, I've been given a new assignment in college and I was wondering if someone could help me out. This is what the task says:

'Explain with aid of diagrams how to carry out Continuity of CPC, Polarity, and Insulation Resistance testing for one way lighting circuit and Ring socket circuit'

I need to know step by step how to carry out a test. I need something like a guide telling me what I have to set a Megger on, what values I should get and conductors I should test between. Something like a 'newbie' guide. I will really appriciate any help

Thank you in advice

You should buy or loan from the library the IEE On Site Guide (17th edition) and the IEE Guidance note 3 to Inspection and Testing.

Zako - have you already covered this on your course?

Have they asked you to 'Explain with aid of diagrams how to carry out Continuity of CPC, Polarity, and Insulation Resistance testing for one way lighting circuit and Ring socket circuit' because you should know it, having been taught it, or have they asked it as a research project for you, i.e. for you to go and find out?

Knowing how, physically, to do the tests without already knowing what the tests measure and how to use the test equipment is a bit pointless.

Never mind circuit topologies - do you know what a continuity test is, and what properties are measured, and what the units of that measurement are?

Ditto insulation resistance and polarity?

ban-all-sheds - I dont know if I can truly say that we covered this. We have been quickly told what to do and why we do it but it all happened in one day and some of us did not even have a chance to test it.

I still don't know what values we should get for each reading. Im gonna have a look in the library and see if they've got GN3 but I doubt it...

Sponsored Links
Your college library will have copies of GN3 and BS7671 - even if all copies are out on loan there will be reference copies.

If you don't even have an ON Site Guide you should go and buy one. You'll never get past first base on your learning process without it.
Later you will need a full copy of BS7671, of your own.

Hello, I've been given a new assignment in college and I was wondering if someone could help me out. This is what the task says:

'Explain with aid of diagrams how to carry out Continuity of CPC, Polarity, and Insulation Resistance testing for one way lighting circuit and Ring socket circuit'

If this is part of an electrical installation course then I am surprised that you have not been asked to explain how to conduct a safe isolation test. While thes tests mentioned are to be conducted on dead circuit the first part of any test is to prove that the circuit is actually dead.
You have also not mentioned R1+R2 testing. Nor how each of these tests fits into CRIPPER in terms of the order of testing.

The books I mentioned before explain how you conduct these tests but as others have mentioned they do not go into great detail about how you interpret the results, especially if the result you get differs from what you expect.

This link contains a number of videos that may answer some of the questions you raise - but a word of caution - I have not viewed all the videos so I cannot guarantee they follow the correct procedure. However some do give results and explain what they mean.

http://www.aboutelectricity.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?forum_id=5

Get the OSG and GN3, look at the methodolgy proposed, then compare that methodolgy to the that outlined in the videos.

In all honesty, learning the theory is fine, putting it into practice is where you really learn.

I will have a look in our library to see what they've got.

Thank you for the link riveralt, Im sure they'll be quite useful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/16th-IEE-Wiring-Regulations-Certification/dp/0750665416/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304449114&sr=8-3

You can get this for the price of the postage.
So you can.

Excellent bargain, considering the book is 100% relevant, as nothing changed wrt testing between the 16th & the 17th.

Same applies to testers - I wonder how many electricians went and bought a new "17th Edition Installation Tester" and flogged off their perfectly good existing one on eBay... :LOL:

I think I recall a discussion on the IET forum a few years ago though about Scaddan having a minority view on disconnecting main bonding conductors for some tests?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back