Lighting cable problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to put the wires for the lighting in the kitchen. I have 2 questions.

1) are there under cabinet lights on the market that can be wired in, as this is how i have planned it. Most of the ones that i have seen have these link cables. So i need a under cabinet light that can receive L,N & E and then can take that supply L, N & E to the next light?

2) If the answer to the above is no. Then i will leave them as my father has left them today.

Problem i left the wires for him to cap in and pull through the plaster board, he has taken it upon himself to cut the wires to make them over cabinet lights opposed to under cabinet lights. (I'm frustrated) Although this is done i do want to revert back to how it was. I have some choc blocks which state on the packet ~ 500V and on the choc block it self state 450V can i use these to connect the L, N & E to extend it.

If not then they are now over cabinet lights (Not Happy) :cry:

Sponsored Links
Use a proper junction box on top of the cabinet rather than choc blocks.

thanks for that comment. Is it possible for you to clarify why a junction box opposed to choc blocks. I take it they can carry the current.

The cabinets are not actually in and the junction box would need to be buried.

andemz said:
and the junction box would need to be buried.

cant do that. :cry:

if you crimped you could but you cant bury a jb.

a jb by design is enclosed, choc block isnt enclosed

Sponsored Links
No that's what i though breezer, you would ned access to it. So in this instance is it possible to extend the cable by the use of a choc block so that i can sort out the problem?

Are choc blocks allowed to be buried or not, do they have to be taped with elctrical insulation tape

I was imagining from what you said the cabinets will be up on the wall and the junction boxes will just sit flat on the top. Why the need to bury all this?

Nothing with screw connections is allowed simply to be buried.

It's a new extension, so it needs plasterboarding all out, neatness to me means no wires, no pipes nothing just neatness.

If it is not allowed to be buried then, can i use choc blocks and just have them out of the wall, this wouldn't be seen at all and you would be able to have full access to them over the top of the cabinet? i hate the site of big bulky junction boxes anywhere, let alone sitting on top of a cabinet

The other rule is that all connections have to be inside a suitable insulating enclosure......hence junction boxes which have screw terminals built inside a hard plastic case. You can get boxes designed to enclose choc blocks.

As this is only 6A lighting with 1mm cable (i presume) you can also get small white round junction boxes, which might suit you better. You could sink a metal backing box into the wall and put a blanking plate on it, or a flex outlet plate. but I would have though this would be more visible from below than a small junction box on the top back of a typical wall cupboard. If it really bothers you, you could replace the new cables. Is there access from above so you could join the cut cables above the ceiling?

andemz said:
i hate the site of big bulky junction boxes anywhere, let alone sitting on top of a cabinet
How tall are you?

How low are the wall cabinets?

I can't see how JB's at the back of them would be visible.

Alternatively, what about putting a cornice on the cabinets?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back