Lighting Circuit Continually Blows/Fuses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 'old style' fuse box which has never until now presented any problems. A few days ago there was a loudish click (or clunk) sound followed by all the ceiling lights going out. There are 9 ceiling light switches coming from the one fuse in the fuse box. I replaced the 5amp fuse wire and all was well for 1 day, when the same thing happened. On both occasions there were only 2 or 3 lights being used. However, on replacing the fuse again it immediately blew.

The property was rewired in approx 1980.

Can anyone suggest the best action to take. I am going to look inside all the switch boxes to check that nothing has come loose. Other than that I am at a loss. Could there be any other reason, apart from the wires feeding the switches to have degenerated which is unlikely.

Is there any way I can check the source of the problem?

HELP! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It does sound like a wiring fault somewhere. Once you find it fixing it is probablly easy, the difficult bit is finding it. Especially if the fault is intermittent.

The first thing I would do is open up all the accessories and check for loose wires and damage insulation. If i found damaged insulation I would either cut the wire back past the damage(if there is enough slack to do so) or fix it with heatshrink sleeving.

After that the next thing I would try is visually inspecting any parts of the wiring you can get reasonablly easy access to.

If that fails to find the problem i'd say the next step would be to do insulation resistance tests on all the parts of the circuit but be aware that insulation resistance tests may not find an intermittent fault.

Have any changes been made recently on that circuit? eg new light, new switch? That would be my first point of investigation

Any signs of mickey mouse?
You ideally need an IR tester (AKA megger) and the knowledge of how to use one, failing that it is a job for someone who has and does.

Sponsored Links
I have had a couple of call outs to clunking noises and blown fuses, both were cable damage, one under the floor with a nail through the cooker cable and had been shorting and clearing for months until it finally popped the fuse

The other was a taped buiders joint under plaster which had been doing the same thing

cat-teeth.jpg

Mods - looks like emmess is another manifestation of that scumbag ****-for-brains spammer.

Please delete him and all his rubbish.

It looks like it's probably mice although I have a cat and there are two in the flat upstairs so have to get it all tested.
Anyway, thanks to all who replied. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back