Lighting circuit - double switch rewiring gone wrong!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm an over enthusiastic female DIYer, better than some blokes but have my blonde moments and today has been one of them.

I have attempted to change a double switch ... double in the sense that it is one socket with two switches working 2 sep lights ... and its gone very wrong.

Electrics date back to 60's so nothing looks familiar. I started with 4 (unidentifiable) red wires coming out of the wall and a short red wire connecting the top two.

Obviously I need to transfer this to the new format and I've tried a few combinations and am in danger of loosing track of the unidentifiable wires (if I haven't already to be honest)

At the moment I have a very strange set up and the light in a totally sep room has stopping working aswell!

Can anyone help?
View media item 26323
Thanks ever so much

Sponsored Links
Are the red cables in pairs inside grey PVC sheath
or singles?
Do you have any means of testing for a live? or/and continuity?
The first cable to connect is the link this should be com to com with the live(red) that could be any of the four reds, in one side of switch with com link.

If your 'original' setup worked, then on the new switches:

1 and 3 go to the COM terminals, with a link (5) between them.

2 and 4 connect to the L1 terminals

Nothing connects to the L2 terminals.

Sponsored Links
you make it sound v simple ... now wish me luck!

If you see a puff of smoke in East London tomorrow it could be me!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back