Lighting circuit has no earth to *some* lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new house, the existing light (pendant) fittings in the hallway (x2) and living room (x1) were metal.

I replaced the living room light fitting with a new metal one and saw no issues, T&E was used so obviously I earthed it.

The first hallway light also had no issues again T&E was used so i replaced with a shiny new metal fitting.

But the second hallway cabling has no earth so my shiny new light light fitting can not be used. I have checked the other rooms downstairs and all except the living and one hallway light have no earth.

Please note all the switches are plastic

My house was built circa 60's and my fusebox has been retrofitted with MCBs. Having taken a peek at the wiring its a combination individually sheathed cabling (eg single strand black sheathed and single strand red sheathed) and some T&E which I am assuming runs to the sockets.

My concern is that the house lighting circuit has not been designed to carry an earth so the living room and one hallway light that have already been wired to earth will "earth" to *nowhere*.

Can anyone provide any insight as to my options; I shall arrange a PIR test in the new year - is this designed to reveal earth issues.

Is there anyway i doubly insulate the light fittings myself?

If i find the other lighting circuits have an earth that is connected to the 'earth rod' can i attach a single earth cable from the light pendants to this wiring?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
This is being discussed in a similar topic at the moment, as you are aware you must not connect metallic fittings to a circuit that has no CPC/earth.
It would seem at some stage alterations have been made to the previous installation and twin and earth has possibly replaced single core conductor of live and neutral.
It could be that where there are no CPCs that this has been snipped off and can still be found within the sheath of existing cables.
But as you have wisely assumed, that in the case of these not being continuous, that it is very likely that the instances where a CPC is connected does not mean it actually has a path to earth.
A EICR (electrical installation condition report) would be recommended.
Other live topic;
//www.diynot.com/forums/electr...ates-switches-have-no-earth-available.388155/

Should be easy enough to continuity test between lighting earth and the earth pin of a near by socket

So are you saying that if i get earth continuity from a nearby socket I can "tap" into this earth for the lighting pendant?

Sponsored Links
So are you saying that if i get earth continuity from a nearby socket I can "tap" into this earth for the lighting pendant?
No, for testing reason they are assuming the CPC of the lighting to be connected at the board along side that of the socket circuits, this would confirm continuity. It is not wise to use the earth of the socket circuit to connect to the lights for in service use.
But if your socket circuit earth is also nonexistent or faulty, then the test is flawed. But does flag up over possibly issues!
So if carrying out the test that way, then I would confirm an earth path exists at the sockets first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back