Lighting Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our upstairs and downstairs lights are run off the same fuse,as they have been installed using junction boxes not ringmain.Do I need to convert to ring main? are they acceptable wired via junction boxes? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Many older houses were wired this way. Its not against regs to do so, but does limit the number of "multi bulb" fittings you can have on the circuit before you begin to reach the limits. I.e 12 x 100W bulbs per 5A/6A lighting circuit.

Although obviosly you wont have all the lights in the house on at the same time, it can become a problem.

It may be worth having a full wiring inspection, as if the lighting is wired in this fashion it may have not been done for a fair few years........... just a thought. Also whether the fuse board/consumer unit has re-wirable fuses or MCB's. This may also give away the age of the wiring.

Also, FYI, Ringmain refers to the socket and fixed appliences circuit within your house, I.e the wiring starts at the consumer unit, loops through all sockets and fcu's then returns to the same terminals at the cu. Lighting circuits are not wired in this way. They are radial. I.e they leave the CU and terminate at the last fitting.

Hope this has helped you :)

Hi,
Thanks, I think I`ll take your advice and have the circuits checKed out by an electician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back